Thinking of parting out my 1990 750 Sport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
carlopalmas
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Thinking of parting out my 1990 750 Sport

Post by carlopalmas »

Hey all:
I have a mostly original 1990 750 sport.
Mostly because I had to replace the computer with a Ignitech and the front rotors are floating.
Otherwise the fairings are in very good shape and the tires pretty new.
Also hidden away are a set of RKS saddle bags and a tank bag, colors and stitching to match the bike.
Bike is located in Sardegna Italy.
Any interest? If I have enough interest I'll start disassembly, if not I'll leave her sit another year (or so)

Carlo
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Thinking of parting out my 1990 750 Sport

Post by paso750 »

Keep the bike as it is. Put it on stands, put a cover over it and let it sit there or find someone who appreciates.
If you part it out you will get rid of the best parts first, then things will slow down to the point where you will have a bit more than half of a bike sitting in the garage. At least a year will have passed by then and you will not have any idea what to do with the worthless carcass that`s left.
That fate is by far too sad for your bike.

G.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Thinking of parting out my 1990 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

Those are very minor problems for a bike that is now 23 years old. A computer is easy to source, as are rotors. Hardly grounds for parting it out. And if I understand you correctly, you already put these parts into it? Make no question about it, to keep this bike on the road will require you to work on it fairly regularly. If you are concerned that more things will go wrong, then I think that this is not the bike for you. You can get more for a complete bike. The Sport parts just don't demand that much. Too few made, not collectible enough, and low demand.

Now if you were parting out an 851, you might be on to something.
Get it running and sell it as is to someone who will give it love and attention. Obviously the honeymoon is over for you.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.