1990 900 Supersport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
TheDuctor
model: 900 SS
year: 1990

Re: 1990 900 Supersport

Post by TheDuctor »

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GOT IT.

Well, I will when I go to pick it up. Agreed a phenomenal deal with the seller, I can't believe my luck.

Although it's taxed and mot'd and all road legal, the belts not being changed for 9 years is a concern. So instead of riding it back the hour and a half, I'm going to collect it by van. Would it still be safe to start so u can hear it run or best to wait until the belts are replaced and the bikes been serviced, just to be on the safe side?
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

Mc tool wrote:I too would go for the 900........... its just better .snip The 900 has enough good bits on it ( 17" wheels , better brakes , swingarm ):)
Hamish
I agree with everything Hamish says, OK, I don't. Almost. I don't know about the swing arm. As I just went around the block on the swingarm thing, I really can't tell you what is on the 900 SS. As best I can tell its the same as the 750 Sport, from appearances. But what I don't know is if it had the 4 sets of needle roller bearings in cases and the 19mm swingarm pivot like the later SS series had, or if it had the bushings in the cases and the 28mm swingarm pivot. Anyone have one that has taken this apart and/or can comment?

The first year 750 SS still had the 28mm pin and bushings in cases, but the cast ends for the wheel and adjusters of the later 900 SS series. (super rare swing arm) Not quite sure where that model was sold.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

TheDuctor wrote:YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GOT IT.<snip> the belts not being changed for 9 years is a concern. So instead of riding it back the hour and a half, I'm going to collect it by van. Would it still be safe to start so u can hear it run or best to wait until the belts are replaced and the bikes been serviced, just to be on the safe side?

Good choice. Pull off the side fairings, and take off the belt covers to see if the belts look OK or are cracked, frayed, or delinquent in some way. If they look good, I would go ahead, start it up, and take it for a test ride. Confirm the bike rides straight, brakes work, forks and swingarm go up and down as they should, etc. (and the engine doesn't produce smoke)

Check the swingarm for cracks around the welds. Bring a rag & some WD-40 to wipe it down if you need. Look at the paint on the frame by the headset to see if there are hairline cracks in the paint. this would indicate a crashed bike, or that the forks hit the stops hard at one time or another. Both of my Sports show this, and I can confirm one was crashed. Have him hold the bike up on the side stand and spin the wheels to see that they spin freely, and the wheels are straight, and there's no odd freeplay. If you are handy with a multimeter, bring one and confirm that its charging properly. After that, call it good, and load it up. If you find anything additional wrong, you just start negotiating over again. After all, its a 23 year old bike. It will need some TLC.

Good choice, and good luck. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

That's awesome information and advice Phil. Thank you so much for taking the time to put that together, it will definitely help me when I go to get the bike. At least I know what to look for before I hand over the cash.

I've got some pictures that the guy sent so I'll post them up when I wake up a bit more. Last night felt like Christmas eve used to feel before I got all grown up!
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

Beautiful!
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Cheers Dan. Hopefully it'll look as good in the flesh when I pick it up at the weekend - already booked in for a full service including belts and valve clearances for the 14th May so I won't actually be riding it for two weeks. Sweet sweet torture. At least i get to polish it and gaze adoringly upon its static mechanical beauty.
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Bloody hell!!! Country shuts down at a weekend or so it seems. Does anyone know a van hire company that allows vehicle return on Sunday in Suffolk or Suffolk/Essex area
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Bike looks great. Normal wear and tear for the years. Bone stock as best I can tell. Original mirrors, and turnsignals, and cans. Rotors look fine, but if you go to EBC steel rotors, they will have a bit more bite. Wash it up, tune it, and go for a ride.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

TheDuctor wrote:Image
I was looking at this photo and something did'nt seem right.Then it dawned on me.....the sun is out :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though,nice bike.You're going to enjoy it :thumbup:

Cheers
Andrew
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Well, I went to look at the bike today before commiting to buying it. Rear tyre needs replacing, top yoke scratched to buggery, engine has paint flaking off it, what looks like a small plastic cover missing off the clutch lever, small hairline crack on the weld on the swingarm l/h/s.

But I bought it anyway. It's frickin gorgeous.

Comes with original handbook, owners manual and toolkit. Rare as hens teeth on their own let alone all together.
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Some of the bits n pieces that came with the bike. Also included was a heavy duty chain, a quality disc lock, an Oxford products bike cover and a rear paddock stand.

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

I guess that qualifies as full kit. Their is a blue Ducati shop manual for that year of bike, if you keep looking. I have one, so I know they exist.

For the price, did you get him to deliver it?

Don't be tempted to put on a 180 rear tire. The 170 will turn in better.

Keep an eye on those cracks, and have them welded up if they get bigger. They may stay that way for years.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Rhino
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Rhino »

Welcome TheDuctor

I don't think there is a forum for the 900SS you've bought/are buying. Everyone here is friendly and most are very knowledgeable and if not we have comfortable shoulders and lots of tissues . . .. You're very welcome even if you don't have the exact bike you have the same disease . . .. (Always wondered why the 900ss wasn't included.)

The bike you're talking about is very rare, with the 17" wheels she'll be a great ride and most parts are (I think) easily available.

HOWEVER - if you are worried about costs - you've not bought the wrong bike - you bought the wrong marque!! Ducati ain't cheap . . .

Made in Italy IS the most expensive Italian bike dealer in this country (the world?) but his bikes are the best quality and his knowledge of Ducati is second to none - he is very well published on the marque.

Glad to have you on board - Welcome - where are you?
Rhino

If God rides a Harley . . .
Then the Devil rides a Duke!
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Hi Rhino,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

As with most things in life, you try to prepare yourself the best you can for what you're about to get into, but you can never always be fully prepared. I think that must be what owning a Ducati must be like from what I've read and been told. But wheres the fun in always knowing what's coming your way?

I'm in Ipswich so only 15 minutes away from Made in Italy, so the occasional "dribble trip" to look round the showroom hasn't been unknown.

I can't wait to get on it, ride it, park it up outside a coffee shop and just sit and gaze at it.