1990 900 Supersport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
TheDuctor
model: 900 SS
year: 1990

1990 900 Supersport

Post by TheDuctor »

Hi everyone, apologies if this is in the wrong section but I hope someone can give me some advice.

Ever since I was 15, I've lusted after a 1990, 900 Supersport. I'm now lucky enough to be in a position to buy my dream bike. Before I take the plunge, I was hoping that I can get some advice on whether the particular bike I'm considering is worthwhile.

It's a 1990 UK model with 24000 miles on the clock. It has very little history, but passed an MOT last August although it has only covered 3000 miles in the last 9 year's which is the period the current owner has had the bike. It had new chain, sprockets and pads last year but hasn't had the belts changed since 2004.

It possibly needs new discs, rear wheel bearings and will need a new rear tyre soon. There are a couple of cracks in the fairing around the fastenings near the headlight and has a scuffed l/h silencer.

The seller is open to offers.

So guys, over to you. Any and all opinions, thoughts and comments are gratefully received.

Sorry, I should add that the bike also has the original Weber carbs still fitted.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Re: 1990 900 Supersport

Post by ducinthebay »

Welcome to the site. you are looking at one of the rare Ducks in the company history. Made for one year, and only sold in a few selected countries.

Certainly a well worthwhile bike. Basically the same as the 750 Sport with the notable changes of:
- 17" wheels
- 4 piston calipers 32/32
- 300 mm rotors
- 900 cc motor
- Different paint job (same parts)

The rotors are the same as many mid 90's to current Yamaha bikes, including some of their cruisers. Cheap on e-bay and work just fine. Also aftermarket available from Galfer and EBC, and probably others.

Cracks in the fairing go with the territory. if cracked all the way through, patch from the back.

New belts are always a given with an old Ducati.

Rear wheel bearings can be had by most anyone selling bearings. Be aware that they are the wide ones, and Ducati has done something weird with their part numbers on these. Match the bearing numbers and you should be just fine. Make sure the spacer on the sprocket side is installed correctly.

Great bike. The Weber works better on the 900 than the 750. Any mods for the 750 will also work on the 900.

So many good new tires out there, hard to make a choice. Pirelli Angels work great, and the new Michelin Pilot Powers have rave reviews too. New tires are a wonderful thing.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

Sounds like the bike for me :) , a bit of a fix up and it should be a good un .Don't be put off by the milage , both my dukes have done twice that . Probly the only thing I would add to ducinthebay's comments is to use polyester resin ( as opposed to epoxy ) to repair the fairing, and a layer or two of chop strand glass matting can be ( should be ) added for strength , if you do it right it looks like it should have always been there. I have a friend with one of these and its every bit as quick as my 97 SS was :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

Congratulations - good to see another old Ducati in a safe pair of hands.

You don't mention price so I can't comment on whether the bike's a bargain or not, but a couple of similar vintage 750s in original condition have recently sold in the UK for around the £1500 mark. Rarity, and the benefits of bigger wheels and better brakes and suspension could add a few hundred to that figure just as the condition of the bike and the work needed to get it on the road could take a few hundred off. There's one for sale on ebay right now from a dealer - all the history and fully serviced for £2500: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281097601060? ... 1423.l2649 so that might give you an idea of what to offer for the one you're looking at...

Can't add much to Phil's excellent advice, just to say I fitted Metzeler Z8 tyres to the 17" wheels on my 750 on the recommendation of local Ducati Guru Rich Llewellin, and they are superb.

As for background, Ian Falloon's book "Ducati Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins" has a couple of pages of useful information on the 900SS, and I have a copy of Performance Bikes' October 1989 road test of the 900 which I can scan and send to you if you pm me with an email address.
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Cheers for the replies fellas. The seller is asking 2150 pounds or offer. Ive been quoted 500+ vat to have the belts done plus a service or 200+ vat for the belts only.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

TheDuctor wrote:Cheers for the replies fellas. The seller is asking 2150 pounds or offer. Ive been quoted 500+ vat to have the belts done plus a service or 200+ vat for the belts only.
These prices are very expensive. Changing the belts is less than an hours work and they cost around £70 (inc VAT) the pair. I'd have thought more like £120 to £150 inc VAT at most. Likewise a service for that bike should be a fair bit less than the £600 you've been quoted. A main dealer price for a full service on a 4V engined bike is around that. They are not difficult to work on, if you intend to keep the bike it's best to learn to do it yourself.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

TheDuctor wrote:Cheers for the replies fellas. The seller is asking 2150 pounds or offer. Ive been quoted 500+ vat to have the belts done plus a service or 200+ vat for the belts only.
My full service with Louigi Moto (less the tyres) was around £400, and as this was my first Ducati and I didn't know the history of my bike I was happy to pay that for someone who knew what they were doing to get it ready for the road.

You'll also need to budget a couple of hundred for the tyres (I'd replace as a pair), around £300 for a pair of EBC discs, something for the wheel bearing and getting the fairing damage fixed professionally could easily cost another hundred (cheaper if you DIY).

It's easy to spend more than you think when getting an old bike on the road (ask me how I know), and I don't see the Scottish bike (on ebay), fully serviced and cosmetically sound, selling for more than the £2500 minimum bid - if at all. On that basis I'd guess £2100 is on the high side - especially as you could spend near enough a grand on getting it sorted...
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

I thought it sounded expensive but wasn't sure. Those prices were quoted by Made In Italy motorcycles in Stowmarket, Suffolk.

I definitely want to keep the bike as for some reason or another it's one that I've always wanted since I was a teenager. I've done the whole Japanese 4cylinder thing from CBR400's thru to zx9's and GSXR's. I've also had a twin, a Honda Firestorm (Superhawk I think they were called in the US).

The major difficulty I have is a bloke I know has a 1988 750 Supersport that I've got first refusal on and I'm torn between the two. The 750 I never even knew existed until the deal for a previous 900 fell through and this bloke came up with a 750 instead.

The 750 has 15,000km on the clock will come with new belts and a service but has been stood for two years in a friends lock-up and he cant get hold of his mate the past month to get release of the bike!

If you guys had the option of the 750 and 900 which would you go for. I mean the 750 is the better deal (not just mileage wise but history, road readiness etc) but the 900 is the one I wanted as a kid.

Hell, I might even get them both :lol: :lol:
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Danielmc wrote:
My full service with Louigi Moto (less the tyres) was around £400, and as this was my first Ducati and I didn't know the history of my bike I was happy to pay that for someone who knew what they were doing to get it ready for the road.

You'll also need to budget a couple of hundred for the tyres (I'd replace as a pair), around £300 for a pair of EBC discs, something for the wheel bearing and getting the fairing damage fixed professionally could easily cost another hundred (cheaper if you DIY).

It's easy to spend more than you think when getting an old bike on the road (ask me how I know), and I don't see the Scottish bike (on ebay), fully serviced and cosmetically sound, selling for more than the £2500 minimum bid - if at all. On that basis I'd guess £2100 is on the high side - especially as you could spend near enough a grand on getting it sorted...
Yeah, I've seen that ne on eBay. Seems to be a fair bit of damage to the exhausts if you zoom in enough and I thought the bid of £2500 is premium price. I was 30 minutes away from buying one that was at Weatherley's in Harleston but just as I was leaving mine to go and have a look they rang to sy it had just sold. I think that was £2200 with loads of history and ready serviced ready to go.
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

TheDuctor wrote: Yeah, I've seen that ne on eBay. Seems to be a fair bit of damage to the exhausts if you zoom in enough and I thought the bid of £2500 is premium price. I was 30 minutes away from buying one that was at Weatherley's in Harleston but just as I was leaving mine to go and have a look they rang to sy it had just sold. I think that was £2200 with loads of history and ready serviced ready to go.
£2200 for a nice one sounds about right. It's a buyers market now though, so I'd be inclined to offer around the £1500 mark in view of what you need to buy for the bike, and see what he says.

As regards whether to go for the 750 or the 900... my take is that the 900 is a better bike for similar money. The 750 came with 16" wheels, solid discs and P08 calipers and, as Phil said, the Weber is even more problematic on the smaller engine. The 900 came equipped with bigger wheels, better brakes and suspension and seems to be usable with the stock carb.

Buying both sounds like an option!
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

Well, I've emailed the guy and made an offer on the 900. He's messaged me back to say he's still got it so the balls in his court.

The question is though, with it not being a Paso or a 750, where will I find a forum as good as this that I can call home?
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

I don't know any other forum that you can call home, beside here. That bike is as rare as a mass produciton model gets. How many were made? 400 or so?

I would certainly get the 900, as its the best version of the Sport that there is, and its a lovely bike.

I've spent a lot of money and time to make mine look and work like the 900, although I have not changed the motor yet.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... s%2090.htm

I think this is the same article that Dan very kindly took the time to scan an email to me earlier today. Except the pictures. Thanks to him it sold me on the 900 ;)
TheDuctor

Post by TheDuctor »

http://www.madeinitalymotorcycles.com/

This is the bike shop just down the road from me. Unbelievable what they sell and have sold.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

I too would go for the 900........... its just better . In some ways the more that is wrong with a potential purchase the better it can be when your finished , provided you can get it at a realistic price. The 900 has enough good bits on it ( 17" wheels , better brakes , swingarm ) but is not yet so complicated that the average joe cant maintain it themselves :) :)
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time