done (for now)

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
the finn
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

done (for now)

Post by the finn »

as promised, here are a few pics of the newly resurrected sport. i'm pretty happy with the paint. except for the fact that i didn't quite match the frame, my guy did a pretty good job. lots of little things to work on here and there, but i'm gonna focus on riding it this summer instead of obsessing over details.
Attachments
4.JPG
(439.64 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
3.JPG
(465 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
1.JPG
(449.63 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
the finn

Re: done (for now)

Post by the finn »

more pics
Attachments
7.JPG
(432.69 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
6.JPG
(251.52 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
5.JPG
(464.6 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
the finn

Post by the finn »

notes: the fuel system is really overkill automotive stuff, but it's bulletproof. an-6 lines are HUGE for this application, but the hardware i had selected used those fittings, so i stuck with it. i had a holley regulator on there and wasn't happy with it. the fuelab unit is a little larger, but it's rock solid and it's red. i have it set to 2.0 psi. for lack of space, i don't see my gauge while riding, so i might just pull it off when i'm satisfied with how it's running.

current jetting is 65/160/f27(i think?)/195 with 4.5 aux ventury. pretty rich almost everywhere (at 6000 ft in colorado), but it runs better than it ever has - primarily because of the solid fuel pressure regulation. idle should probably come back down to 60. not sure yet about the main, but i find myself continually moving up with the air corrector. just ordered another handful from pierce ranging up to 210. hearing of other people's experience, it looks like i may go even higher.

to do:

- spose i oughtta put some turn signals on it somewhere. not required in colorado, but i don't like taking my hands off the bars to signal all the time.
- replace all remaining hydraulic/fuel/oil lines with braided stainless. i know, it's a little gaudy, but what the hell.
- replace my crappy regulator/carb mount plate. took me several tries and lots of holes before i found a satisfactory way to route the fuel pump, filter, regulator, quick-releases, return line, and various fittings. nobody sees my hack job with the tank on, so it's not exactly a priority.
- chrome the headers. maybe get some different pipes. it IS loud.
- mount the fuel pressure gauge in a more permanent way. those hose clamps are ugly.
- give it a bath.
- build a new fairing.
Attachments
11.JPG
(334.44 KiB) Downloaded 701 times
10.JPG
(360.95 KiB) Downloaded 701 times
8.JPG
(347.38 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Mate that looks great :thumbup: .A job well done in my book.

Cheers
Andrew
the finn

Post by the finn »

many thanks. it's been so long i don't know what to do now. guess i'll work on the house or something.

btw if anyone's interested, the fuel system goes like this:

there's an in-tank strainer on the end of aluminum hardline picking up from the low point of the tank. goes through one of these awesome, self-sealing quick-releases: http://motorsports.jiffy-tite.com/2000- ... aV6m7VQFqU

- out of the tank on the right side just behind the regulator. up to the pump in front of the carb: http://www.holley.com/15760NOS.asp

- back on the left side to a 10 micron mini filter (hidden behind the regulator in the last pic): http://www.golanproducts.com/filters.html

- to the fuelab regulator (the really low pressure one isn't actually shown on their site): http://fuelab.com/products/performance/ ... egulators/

- to a return goes back to the tank on the left side right beside the vertical cylinder (also a quick-release fitting)

- and finally to the carb, wrapping 450 degrees around the carb.

i can't stress enough how much a difference this makes over the original. it's a completely different bike. jetting works. no surprises. i can make a change and it does what it's supposed to. and with the jiffy-tite fittings, i can take the tank off, rejet mains or air correctors, and be riding again in 10 minutes with almost no spill.

fun fun.

ian.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Very nice. I like the Sport a bit deconstructed. Looks a lot tougher than a Monster.

How did you modify the tank? Nice work.

The ground wire from the battery should be upsized a bit, and solder the lugs. All of your starting current is running through that wire.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
the finn

Post by the finn »

right. that ground strap is prolly marginal. and i agree - i never really liked the monster's departure from its race heritage. of course the riding position is a lot more comfortable.

the tank is scratch-built composite. i picked up the basic skills hanging out with some home-built aircraft builders. i carved a foam plug (several actually) from styrofoam until i got a shape that i was satisfied with. covered it in box tape and mold release, then hand-laid fiberglass over it. aluminum reinforcements are built in for the attach points. vinyl ester resin is the stuff to use for tanks since it's highly resistant to fuels and solvents. materials come to about $200us from aircraft spruce or wicks. cheaper than an oem tank. actually with all the fittings call that $400.

after the basic shape is done, i cut the filler hole, then the foam dissolves with acetone. MESSY. box tape comes out with a little effort. a rinse with more acetone then a slosh coat of more vinyl ester. then it's fill and sand, fill and sand, fill and sand...my painter did a good job of hiding the remaining imperfections. for a pro, it's probably a pretty quick and easy project - 10 hours or so over the course of a week. for me it was very labor intensive.

i got some pics of the process around here somewhere. i'll dig em up. it's very messy and very TOXIC. proper protection and ventilation is required.

all fittings are sealed using dow 730 (80 bucks a tube!). everything's tight right now, but we'll see how well it holds up. i made a nutplate for the newton fuel cap rather than mold the fittings into the tank - mounting it this way was a little more forgiving. a fuelsafe discriminator valve at the top-front of the tank is open to atmosphere for venting. no emissions equipment here. right now i have an ugly hardline routed to the road below, but no fuel has come out. those discriminators actually work. i'd like to put one of these on there to control vapor losses:

http://www.fuelsafe.com/store/vent-chec ... valve.html

i wouldn't necessarily recommend that anyone go to all this trouble. not that it's hard, but it's a pain in the ass, and i'm just a glutton for punishment. i'm happy with the results though.

ian.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Gawd I'm slow...I did'nt even notice the tank.Did you make the seat from scratch as well.Now I am impressed.I'd love to see some photos of the tanks construction and thanks for the links too.

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

Outstanding.

For those that missed the start

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5906

Good one Ian

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

After looking at it a bit more, I agree that a fairing will do nicely on this bike. But not the stock fairing obviously, but maybe some styling cues from it. I'm thinking a very thin 1/4 faring from the side view. Maybe just the top of a 916 fairing. Of course cut out around those nice big lamps. A couple of inches of glass and equal amounts of windshield.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

that tank is a really outstanding job. Kudos :thumbup: The whole bike does look like a fun ride.
I wasn`t asked :mrgreen: but what I personally don`t like is the missing belt covers and those headlights while I can`t decide if it`s because it`s two, they`re so big or standing forward so much.
Those front brake lines are really long. Try to get them away from the fork as they will rub into them over time and leave a deep mark also if they have a rubber coating. I`ve seen that numerous times. Also why not replace the rear line as well ?

G.

edit: the front could also look like this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-b1N6b8pGvYY/T ... G_1971.jpg
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

I kind of like those two big globes standing way out front and high. Sort of like a Hooters girl. :shock:
A little bit of fairing will go a long way on that setup.
Ever notice that the top of fairing almost matches a tank top?
I'm surprised that McTool didn't bring this up.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
the finn

Post by the finn »

thanks for the compliments. sorry for the no reply. work-sleep-ride-repeat. put 800 miles on the bike in the last few weeks. i have to control myself. i have a new rule: i only ride the duck on the weekends, and only on day rides out of town. i got other bikes i can put city miles on. but it's running like a top. current jetting is 65/155/F27/180 at 6-7000 feet msl. can't go any lower on the idle without creating that huge transition hole. playing with the main/corrector relationship now, but i think there's not much i can do unless i modify or replace the e-tubes. i've seen higgy's sheet on this, but that's for a 906. anyone have any information on e-tubes for the 750?

i've attached a few pics of the tank in-process, but i can't seem to find all of my old pics. anyway, the foam is 2" thick dow styrofoam sheet straight from the home depot. cut it up, spray adhesive the pieces together, and carve it to the desired shape. box tape covers the foam. if you do this, pieces of tape should criss-cross each other - makes it easier to pull the tape out when finished. not shown is additional filler i used in the cap recess area, and the mold release agent that i applied all over the tape. you'll notice a piece of aluminum sheet poking out from under the plug near the steering head and attached to the tank's stock mounting points. there's a similar piece at the back. this is molded into the layup between layers of fiberglass. holes punched in the aluminum and filled with filler add strength - aluminum will usually eventually (or immediately) delaminate from a composite structure.
Attachments
tape.jpg
tape.jpg (75.9 KiB) Viewed 11358 times
bike2.jpg
bike2.jpg (96.72 KiB) Viewed 11358 times
plug.jpg
plug.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 11358 times
the finn

Post by the finn »

more pics...

here the tank is structurally done, but before fill and sand. in the previous post you can see the original tail section and corbin seat. below you can see the solo tail molded from the seat. i basically covered the seat and tail with fiberglass to get the basic shape, then laid more fabric on the inside of the tail for strength. then i cut off and discarded the pillion. sand-fill-sand-fill...

finally there's a pic of cutting the filler hole. you'll see a cross-section of layup: on top is microsphere filler, several layers of glass, bondo that i used as filler in the mold, and foam from the plug. the bondo popped off with a little effort due to the mold release.

on the subject of bodywork, my original intent was to do an endurance repro like this...
http://www.bikeexif.com/ducati-750-f1
...i actually found a pair of real carello lights - supposedly the same ones that were fitted to tt and f1 endurance machines - but i couldn't justify the $500 asking price. five. hundred. dollars. for lights. anyway, my ideas changed, and i moved away from doing a genuine repro, which freed me to do whatever i like, so these lights are the same hella 500's that you see on that f1 above. $60. i haven't decided whether or not i'll still do the endurance thing. i do like the idea of riding around with a race fairing. on that note...

the fairing will be a fairly small. i've been paying attention to these guys in spain for a while...
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/r ... -sportiva/
...this one's not really my thing, but very cool work nonetheless, and it's the right general idea: a half-fairing to carry the lines forward and aesthetically balance the bike. in fact, all of radical ducati's bikes are that way: minimal half-fairing, stylistically very aggressive, very much what i'm looking for, but not quite to my taste. i guess i'm just a product of the 80's.

i have f1 bodywork, which i've decided is wrong for this bike, and i have an early 90's yamaha gp fairing, which is cool, but not quite right either. and it would require a lot of modification to fit it anyway. there's a german company that makes a neat smaller version of the 2nd gen 900ss half-fairing...
http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm ... artikel=36
...but i still don't think it's right. i've looked an looked, and decided that there's just no other option: scratch built. i think i've mentioned that i'm a glutton for punishment.
Attachments
bike.JPG
bike.JPG (203.61 KiB) Viewed 11357 times
body.JPG
body.JPG (157.5 KiB) Viewed 11357 times
tank.JPG
tank.JPG (118.57 KiB) Viewed 11357 times
the finn

Post by the finn »

btw paso750, i'm not terribly happy with the brake lines either. those are off the shelf from bevel heaven. i'll replace them soon with custom lines. and when i do i'll also replace the rear. there's also that one fuel line that should be braided just for consistency.

incidentally, while digging through old pics i came across this one taken last year. this was the waldo canyon fire in colorado springs taken from the roof of the building i work in. the main plume is six or seven miles from the camera. 350 homes burned in 12 hours, most of them inside of city limits, and 25,000 people were evacuated from the west side of the city. currently there's another fire at the north end of town, also partly within city limits. this time more than 500 homes burned and nearly 40,000 were evacuated. 1000 fire fighters are at the site and if the weather holds it should be contained in a couple days.

ian.
Attachments
fire3.JPG
fire3.JPG (191.93 KiB) Viewed 11351 times