750 sport dropped the primary drive sprocket

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
mickyfinn
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Re: 750 sport dropped the primary drive sprocket

Post by mickyfinn »

Thanks for the lead G my local Ducati store did'nt stock them anyway and would have to order them in.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

A pretty lame dealer that doesn't stock a sprocket retaining plate. A pretty common replaceable item. If you have a Ducati with more than 30k on the clock, you are probably due for one. If you own a Ducati made in 1998, you had best get a new one anyway. Bad batch that year. Too soft. Lots of ST sprockets walked off the job like yours did. Not a lot of Ducatis had high mileage until the STs came out, and suddenly there were guys putting 30k a year on the bikes. Found a few issues in the design.

Cheers, Phil.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

If you've had no luck yet also try

http://www.motoitalia.com.au/

Dave Ward

or Italspares Jim or Ian

02 6946 2626

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Got a box of spare bits from a guy. In it was a front sprocket and a retaining plate. The sprocket looked pretty good, but the retaining plate had about half of the material worn away on the tabs that hold the sprocket on. it was pretty close to failure. Definitely a replaceable item.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
angelix
model: 907 I.E.

Post by angelix »

paso750 wrote: Tell your local dealer he`s an idiot if he doesn`t know that .......omissis........

Never go to a Duc dealer and say you`re looking for parts for an old Duc. Always ask them if they have or can get a certain partnumber. They just need to type that in their computer to check availability w/o having to go through parts catalogues and lose time for something they won`t make any money with. Unfortunately that`s how it is.
I totally agree.

btw the dealers now have a new system that allows them to check the old part# against all revisions and identify if is still available or if there is any other model that fits the same; most of the old part#s have been superceded by the new number system but the dealer has access to the whole story so if they want they can help.

I have been ordering very old parts since "forever" and only when the part is really NLA then I get stuck, usually is bodywork or electrics and few mechanical parts, but most of them are still available.