FCR fitment

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
fester
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

FCR fitment

Post by fester »

Guys are the racked FCR's supposed to fit in the 750/900. Just pulling the Mikunis out this afternoon to replace with FCR's on my 900 and they do not fit up. Theey hit the battery tray straps before they fit into the rubber mounts properly. I've been searching but haven't come across it yet. I expected they would fit exactly where the Mikunis were but the float bowls hit.

Not a big issue for me as I was tossing up removing the battery tray for bigger air filter clearance but it would have been nice if they did fit so I could try with some old foam filters. Are the 750 motors just that bit shorter enough that they fit without hitting.
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Re: FCR fitment

Post by bmw851 »

Alternate fitting suggestion
2013-09-15 13.24.15a.jpg
(199.1 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
2013-09-15 13.23.56a.jpg
(182.13 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
(Andrew2 please note RED cable ties :lol: )

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by Andrew2 »

:shock: wonderful job you've done there Peter.

Cheers
Andrew
fester
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Post by fester »

I was originally looking for splits but cost was a big factor. Couldn't find any second hand and by the time I got a full kit with throttle, manifolds, carbs and filters new it would have been close on double the cost of the racked set I have as I already had the Mikuni manifolds and got a second hand racked set with everything.

Battery tray is gone now. Just tossing up filter options and whether I should move the cross brace forward to get bigger filters with better bellmouths in. Not sure if it's really worth the effort.

How well do those mesh filters work, I have read they are not so good for flow but would probably clear the crossbrace.
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Andrew2 wrote::shock: wonderful job you've done there Peter.
:evil: :lol:

bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

fester wrote:How well do those mesh filters work, I have read they are not so good for flow but would probably clear the crossbrace.
2 very big schools of thought on that one. :banghead:

For me there is a noticeable difference between the rock catchers and using foam pod filters which Uni Filter made up a custom set to suit these particular FCR 39's, they require an adaptor to be fitted to attach the Pod Filters too, and were fitted for road use, given my Sport spends most of time doing trackdays, I have it setup as per the photo's originally posted, (getting to the mixture screws is a bastard to say the least regardless)

When it is leaned off for track use you can physically feel the change in the way the power delivery comes on, it literally has more grunt, doing this means engine longevity has big ? against it :shock: , and as I'm a bit mechanically challenged in some area's can't really talk about air/mixture ratio's and all that sort of stuff, I just work and go on feel, when it had the filters on it just didn't go as hard pure and simple, and bear in mind this is a genuine 6,000 Km bike, so barely run in, in Ducati speak. :choo:

When I started the "being nasty to my sport thread" it was not as a joke, that's why they have that funny red line on the tacho, so you know when to change gears :lol: :lol:

Pictures are with the adaptors fitted and the Pod Filters.

Cheers

Peter

Hey A2 it's an old photo I changed them to Red cable ties :beer:
Attachments
Uni Filters.jpg
Uni Filters.jpg (68.17 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
FCR Adaptors.jpg
FCR Adaptors.jpg (110.2 KiB) Viewed 7506 times

koko64
year: 1999

Post by koko64 »

Beautiful work!
Maybe K&N pods would flow better than the foam pods. Might be an option for a street bike. Maybe using a Lithium battery might free up some space for bigger filters.
2013 M1100 Evo Street
2004 GSXR750 Track
koko64
year: 1999

Post by koko64 »

fester wrote:Guys are the racked FCR's supposed to fit in the 750/900. Just pulling the Mikunis out this afternoon to replace with FCR's on my 900 and they do not fit up. Theey hit the battery tray straps before they fit into the rubber mounts properly. I've been searching but haven't come across it yet. I expected they would fit exactly where the Mikunis were but the float bowls hit.

Not a big issue for me as I was tossing up removing the battery tray for bigger air filter clearance but it would have been nice if they did fit so I could try with some old foam filters. Are the 750 motors just that bit shorter enough that they fit without hitting.
The racked FCRs are for the long manifold, Mikuni carbed bikes (M900, M750, Post 91 900SS, 750SS). They come with adaptors to use the airbox on those bikes. Some people fit pod filters and remove the airbox. On those bikes the battery is behind the carbs, not in front. Maybe shorter manifold adaptors might give a little room.
I hope you can make it work because they are great carbs.
2013 M1100 Evo Street
2004 GSXR750 Track
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

(Andrew2 please note RED cable ties :lol: )
If you have a newly painted frame I`d recommend using cloth tape under the cable ties as they can rub on the paint. If you check sports shops that sell i.e. hockey equipment you`ll also find the tape in red ;)