Ignition switch wiring diagram

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
fester
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Ignition switch wiring diagram

Post by fester »

Guys is there a wiring diagram around for the ignition switch itself. I have the blue factory manual with the wiring section however it only shows the wiring loom colours on the other side of the plug. I'm trying to determine if the actual wiring out of the switch itself is in the correct position in the plug. Everything worked when I got the bike a few years ago but now my park light circuit does not work, so that is park light, tail light, dash indicator light and gauge illumination.

A couple of years ago I played around with a Superbike front end and this included changing to the >91 Supersport triple and ignition switch which I rewired in. Can't remember if they were working the but bike was returned to original and has pretty much sat for a while. I'm playing with it again and everything else is working correctly but not the park light circuit.

The odd thing seems, that I believe from the wiring diagram, that the green wire is the positive throughout this circuit but my green is showing continuity to earth. Unless the green is switched to positive with the ignition switch or the light switch I seem to have a short to earth somewhere but nothing seems obvious. If it is switched the fault must be somewhere else. At any rate I want to start from the ignition switch and work right back through. Alternatively to the ignition switch colours I could work it out from the plug numbers but I don't see any explanation as to the numbering sequence and I cannot see any numbers on the plugs themselves.
fester

Re: Ignition switch wiring diagram

Post by fester »

Guys if there is no wiring diagram for the ignition switch to identify the wires can anyone have a look at their switch and describe or give me a picture of the layout of the wiring in the plug.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

The green wire ( green and black ) is the power but it will show some continuity to earth , some of the resistances you would expect to see aint that big , add a few in parallel and you will get a beep from your continuity tester alright
Yellow/red is the switched wire and the gray is the supply . If you are messin with the wires fitting a main relay will save you headaches later :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
fester

Post by fester »

Mc tool wrote:The green wire ( green and black ) is the power but it will show some continuity to earth , some of the resistances you would expect to see aint that big , add a few in parallel and you will get a beep from your continuity tester alright
Yellow/red is the switched wire and the gray is the supply . If you are messin with the wires fitting a main relay will save you headaches later :)
Can you actually confirm which positions they are in, in the plug. I'm not sure the problem is here but I cannot find fault in that circuit anywhere else so I need to track and check it from the start. It is the only circuit not working.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Best way to suss the internal switching is to get your multi meter and sit down and nut it out , draw a rough diagram . I would look at the paso diagram and unless it immediately looks way different its probly close enough
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
fester

Post by fester »

Mc tool wrote:Best way to suss the internal switching is to get your multi meter and sit down and nut it out , draw a rough diagram . I would look at paso diagram and unless it immediately looks way different its probly close enough
I've got the right wiring diagram but it doesn't give you the colors on the ignition side of the loom plug, only the main loom side. The wires are numbered but the actual plug is not numbered unlike many car plugs. The wiring from the switch is correct it's never been changed but the plug wiring has been apart.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

The wires are numbered but the actual plug is not numbered unlike many car plugs.
Attachments
switch P750.jpg
switch P750.jpg (35.48 KiB) Viewed 7076 times
fester

Post by fester »

Thanks Paso, all the wiring diagrams I've looked at didn't give a schematic of the plug. Here's hoping the 900SS wiring is the same in this regard, one would expect so. AT least somewhere to start.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I got that from the P750 wiring diagram. (of course wiring colours of P750 and Sport are not the same but the plug schematic should help)
fester

Post by fester »

paso750 wrote:I got that from the P750 wiring diagram. (of course wiring colours of P750 and Sport are not the same but the plug schematic should help)
Just checked that, seems when I looked I looked at the 906 and the 750 Sport, neither ow which number the plug. Only the P750 diagram does and is the only one I didn't look at. :wacko:
fester

Post by fester »

Thanks Paso got it sorted now, all electricals working fine. Not sure what happened but it appears the wiring out of the ignition was not right although the only circuit not working was the park/instrument lights.

Not sure if plug was wrong or not but did end up pulling switch apart as was not getting continuity through both circuits. Worked out which terminals were which, cleaned all contacts and rewired switch.

It's still different to original as the bonus now is I have engine run without hardwired lights. Before I had to have at least the park light switch on although I don't recall it was Aussie law back then. Anyway it's better now so all happy. Just trying to track down a guy about a headlight now.