LED warning lights

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
fester
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

LED warning lights

Post by fester »

Guys I've been doing the changeout of the cluster lights for LEDs the last week or so, mostly waiting for the LEDs to turn up. Slight issue I stumbled upon today.

With the single warning light for the indicators/turn signals I realised after much head scratching that the power signal for the warning light reverses polarity when triggering from left to right, hence the illumination only happens for one direction.

Anyone been down this route and got an LED that works. I'm hoping some of the non polarity sensitive ones would work but they are harder to find and so far my ebay search has not come up with any in the T5 configuration. Anyone got a link to ones that work.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Re: LED warning lights

Post by Derek »

The Paso models have a warning right and left so it's not an issue but I see you have a 900SS. I had a similar problem when converting my ST4s a few years ago. My solution was to alter the wiring and fit a couple of diodes in the supply to the LED, one from the RH side and one from the LH side so that the LED lit irrespective of which side was switched on and each side wouldn't interfere with the other.
Here is a diagram of how it was done, ignore the colours etc.

1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

just turn the holder 180
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

every time he uses the turn signal ? :mrgreen:
The SS only has one green warning light for both turn signals.
fester

Post by fester »

higgy wrote:just turn the holder 180

I did, that's what stopped me delving into my imaginary broken loom. Thought I knocked something when pulling the warning panel apart then realised how the single light works. :banghead:

Going to have a bit of a look see if I can get a non polarised LED otherwise some more wiring modification seems to be on the list.

Next trick will be getting the fuel light to work so I can see if an LED will work in there. Mine's never worked since I got the bike. :,(
fester

Post by fester »

G, the square edged LED's don't fit the T5 holders but not sure if they don't fit in the contacts or just that they are too wide just under the LED. I linished a wedge point on the bottom and found they still didn't fit as they were hitting on the shoulder just under the LED. So I linished the sides of them as well and they fit fine now but the bare wired ones are probably the best and easiest option.
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Hi Fester.

Had a look at the wiring schematic of the Sport 750 (i am assuming its close to the same), and it beats me how the console globe flashes at all? The wiring has the console globe going between the 2 indicators, so as you say, the polarity changes depending which indicator is on. But there is no return path for the console globe except through the opposite side indicator. It has obviously worked for the last 20 odd years, so I must be missing something. Out of curiosity, when indicating left, do the right side indicators have a dull flash too?

Anyway,as to where you could get some 2 directional LED's. Have a look online at RS Components or Element 14 (google those names). They may have them? Another option is to buy a couple of small high intensity LED's, connect them up back to back,and glue them into a standard T5 holder. Don't forget to have a resistor in series with the LED's though.

Cheers.

Nick.