What chain?

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: What chain?

Post by Mc tool »

if you don't have a laser a piece of string works too :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

right, or shut one eye and hold up your thumb :lol:
GuinnessDave
model: 750 Sport

Post by GuinnessDave »

ducinthebay wrote:Which year Sport? The early ones didn't have the spacer on the right hand side of the engine between the frame, so they needed a bit more offset. That sprocket might be correct. Later models shifted the engine to the left by a bit, to get a better chain line. Your best bet with a Sport, is to get a laser pointer, square up the wheel in the swing arm, and use the laser to determine which is the correct sprocket to use. Which part number is the sprocket you have in your hand? I might need one of those some day? That looks about what I ended up with mine, but I went a completely different route to get there.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil, I have a 1990 Sport. My rear sprocket has an offset also, but is installed with the flat side against the wheel, so the teeth are as close to wheel as possible. I just need to shoot it with a laser and see what fits. Cheers -Dave
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Others have clamped on two sections of rod on either side of the rear sprocket that are cut so that they reach the front sprocket. Need to remove the chain to do this well.

If you use laser, do both sides of the sprocket to get your offset.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

STRING :banghead: by the time you guys have finished fucking about with yer lasers and bits of metal , and the mounting there of I will be enjoying my 1st beer . Its easy , tie a small loop in the end of the string , hook it over one tooth at the back of the rear sprocket and run it to the front sprocket and hook it over a tooth at the front of the sprocket so that the string lays flat on the outer side of each sprocket ............. then use your eyes , remember them ......those things at the front of your head,. usually focused on tits ( and I don't believe that's a coincidence............. 2 tits , 2 eyes ............we were made to look at them :D ) Any miss alignment is easily seen . I had to put 1mm washers behind my rear sprocket to get things right , which aint much but it was marking the sides of the sprockets . :) save your lasers for bringing down airliners and freakin the cat out :lol:
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

McTool, Either you have had too many beers already tonight, or are in desperate need of the first. Thanks for keeping our gentlemanly little group focussed on what is important. However, I don't advise using a string from a bikini as it might be too thick, and certainly have some added distracting factors deriving from its acquisition.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

yeah , I wouldn't get past actually obtaining the string.........................what motorbike :lol: :lol:
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

Was going to post some smartarse remark about G strings then thought better of it.

Don't want to send Mc tool off in that direction so to speak, I mean look what happened to the post the last time he mentioned his cat :D :lol:

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

bmw851 wrote:Was going to post some smartarse remark about G strings then thought better of it. more like couldn't think of one :D
Don't want to send Mc tool off in that direction so to speak, I mean look what happened to the post the last time he mentioned his cat :D :lol:

Cheers

Peter
my cat will get you :twisted:
:-P :lol: :lol:
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

Mc tool wrote:
bmw851 wrote:Was going to post some smartarse remark about G strings then thought better of it. more like couldn't think of one :D

Cheers

Peter
my cat will get you :twisted:
:-P :lol: :lol:
I thought smartarse and G String in the same sentence wasn't too bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Oh yeah , missed that , :lol: :lol: