New Member 1988 750 Sport - squeaky clutch at idle

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
deswoodau
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

New Member 1988 750 Sport - squeaky clutch at idle

Post by deswoodau »

Hello,

After many years of lusting for a 750 Sport, I finally purchased one a few days ago. I'd like to spend some time going through it all and getting everything just right.

It's been delivered with new belts, motor oil and Michiko tyres. I've already replaced the fuel lines and looking to flush the brake and clutch fluids. I've noticed a squeaking sound from the clutch at idle while in neutral. The sound disappears when the clutch is dis engaged. Any ideas?

It's an original bike including webbers, pipes etc.

Thanks
D
Attachments
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (266.88 KiB) Viewed 7862 times
bmw851
model: other

Re: New Member 1988 750 Sport - squeaky clutch at idle

Post by bmw851 »

Hi and Welcome D.

I've heard and seen this particular bike running in the flesh so to speak, and it was making all the normal engine and dry clutch noise's you would expect, you just hear a bit more with the drilled clutch cover, it's nothing to be overly concerned with, and that is normal when the clutch is pulled in.

Cheers

Peter

Also please don't forget to make use of the search function on this site, if you haven't already, there is everything you need in the way of literature, manuals, owners books, and advice in various threads.

I was sorely tempted to buy that one myself but had already committed to something else. :thumbup:
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
deswoodau

Post by deswoodau »

Hi Peter,

Thats good to hear and Bruce was a pleasure to deal with too. I've already downloaded the manual and been through quite a few posts…..great site!

This is my first belt drive so I'm getting up to speed and looking forward to knowing the bike better.

I inspected under the seat this morning and found the original tool kit and jets which were updated at some point.

Overall I'm impressed with the condition of this bike, very happy.

Cheers
jayh
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by jayh »

Just as a precaution,undo your dry clutch cover and put a light smear of grease on the pressure button. J. :cool:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

when you have the clutch cover off also check if the bearing in the clutch piston still turns smoothly.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Welcome to the site. A very nice stock bike, besides, of course, the turn signals which rarely seem to make it into the next decade.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
deswoodau

Post by deswoodau »

Just thought I'd provide a quick update on the clutch for those who might be tinkering. The clutch still makes a little bit of noise which is normal from what I've been told.

The solution:

I pulled apart the slave cylinder and found the seal was corroded and started leaking…….how it didn't leak to being with is a mystery.

- Cleaned the plates and steels
- air blasted the the clutch basket and housing area
- fitted a new seal and lightly lubricated it with rubber grease (standard Ducati part $7 AU)
- cleaned the clutch cover, slave piston & spring and the oil channels
- fitted higher gauge clutch springs (stainless items from ebay $35AU)
- re bled the entire line with DOT 4 (leaning the bike to the one side with a block of wood into the frame……strange angle these MC's)

The clutch is nice and smooth now. Also, it no longer shudders when gearing down at higher rpm's thanks to the firmer springs. I suspect the clutch plates are stock too.

Thanks
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Nice to hear what you've done with the clutch Des.Do the heavier clutch springs make the pull on the lever any harder?.

Cheers
Andrew
deswoodau

Post by deswoodau »

Hi Andrew,

There's no difference in terms of the clutch action resistance but it does have a smoother release when re engaging the clutch upon take off. I think it's important to clean the bore thoroughly before re assembly including a light emery paper allowing the o-ring to move freely. The bore spring and piston needed a good clean too.

The stainless springs apparently have 10% extra strength than stock. I don't have tooling to validate the facts but I could feel the difference testing by hand.

Overall it was a very cheap fix. I was doing the smaller items prior to looking at a new clutch stack.

Cheers