Cold Start 750

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
deswoodau
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Cold Start 750

Post by deswoodau »

I thought I'd share a recent experience I had with the 88' 750 Sport.

Upon cold starts, it would always take four to six cycles to get it going on full choke (to me this wasn't right). It's a stock standard bike running a weber DCNF. I've owned it for three months and slowly I'm working through the issues. She's a clean original example and I've finally sorted out the clutch and now it's time to sort out the "cold" start problem. Keep in mind when warm, it starts with a quick flick of the switch.

After having a good think about "how I can fix this without spending any cash" I started looking through various posts and the electrical system for problems.

I stripped down the start switch and cleaned all the terminals as they were full of residual assembly grease. The connection from the solenoid to the starter motor was heavily corroded which needed a good wire brush, new washer and stainless nut. The Battery was a little low which needed a top up and charge.

Nothing major, but I must admit it starts like a modern Japanese bike now which is great!

Cheers
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Cold Start 750

Post by Andrew2 »

Thanks for that.It sounds like it made a big difference.Have you done the wiring mod yet.
https://app.box.com/s/qtrdr0frj3n9ij2j0zbi

I haven't yet but will when I get the time.

Cheers
Andrew
deswoodau

Re: Cold Start 750

Post by deswoodau »

No I haven't made the wiring update.

The Solenoid is getting 12v + and cold starts are now instantaneous therefore I'll leave it as is for the moment.

Cheers