Mikuni flatslides - Pump vs No Pump

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
spargo19
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Mikuni flatslides - Pump vs No Pump

Post by spargo19 »

So, I bought my bike with the Ferracci mikuni flatslide conversion on it already. Pump had always been active, and PO reported bike ran poorly when pump would loose it's connection (bad power connection to the pump in the past had provided this experience).

Pump died, and gravity feed was more than adequate (I removed all the fuel pump plumbing inside the tank so the petcock feeds from the bottom of the tank now).

I find that the bike is quite lean now. I tried going to a bigger needle valve to be sure that wasn't a restriction, and went from a 15 to a 20 pilot, but still it wants full choke, and revs up high at idle.

Would the "pressure" provided by the old pump actually effect the jetting of the bike? Seems odd to me, but that seems to be what's happened (unless an unrelated air leak has developed someplace recently).

Thoughts?
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Mikuni flatslides - Pump vs No Pump

Post by higgy »

most definitely a pump will effect the level of gas in the float bowl as well as the rate at which it fills effectively richening the mixture. Most likely you can raise the float level to bring things back in line as long as gravity fills the chamber fast enough to maintain the level
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
spargo19

Post by spargo19 »

seems odd that that would effect it at IDLE, though. Oh well. I think I need to wait for these new float valves to show up before I do anything. I switched from the 1.8 to a 3.0 since there's no pump to push the fuel through the valve.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

seems odd that that would effect it at IDLE, though. Oh well. I think I need to wait for these new float valves to show up before I do anything. I switched from the 1.8 to a 3.0 since there's no pump to push the fuel through the valve.

any pressurized system is going to give you a higher fuel level in the float bowl than one strictly gravity feed

higher fuel level means richer mixture especially at lower air flows

when the fuel level gets too high you can watch the fuel get pulled out of your needle jet in spurts making it impossible to get your jetting correct

gravity fed system can require as much as 5 mm higher float level depending on what carb as it takes longer to fill the bowl and less floatation of the levels to close off the flow

you can prove it to yourself at your kitchen faucet, when the water flow is low its easy to block it with your palm. when the flow is high it takes more time and effort to block it with your palm
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
spargo19

Post by spargo19 »

OK - apparently I introduced another variable at some point - Cables. :)

Setting a little cable adjustment allowed the carbs to close. Bike runs great, starts well, and seems to like the change from a 15 to a 20 pilot. Hopefully that's it.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

If you ever feel that its not getting enough fuel, (mostly under throttle on a long climb) you can still put on a vacuum operated fuel pump off of a Monster, or other bike. There's a recent thread on that somewhere here.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

always pays to check the basic setup when troubleshooting to avoid putting the cart before the horse :beer:

vacuum pump thread is here http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... ump#p54486
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

higgy wrote: any pressurized system is going to give you a higher fuel level in the float bowl than one strictly gravity feed

higher fuel level means richer mixture especially at lower air flows

when the fuel level gets too high you can watch the fuel get pulled out of your needle jet in spurts making it impossible to get your jetting correct

gravity fed system can require as much as 5 mm higher float level depending on what carb as it takes longer to fill the bowl and less floatation of the levels to close off the flow

you can prove it to yourself at your kitchen faucet, when the water flow is low its easy to block it with your palm. when the flow is high it takes more time and effort to block it with your palm
I'm going to have to disagree with you about this. Toilets the world over have a cistern controlled by a ball-cock. Basically a valve which is shut off by a float when it reaches a certain level, just like a float bowl. If the level it stopped flowing depended on pressure there would be overflows where there was a high mains pressure and not enough water for a good flush in areas of low pressure.
The pressure affects the rate of flow, i.e. how fast it fills up, not the height at which it stops which will remain constant. Unless the laws of physics are different for carburators ;)
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

The pressure affects the rate of flow, i.e. how fast it fills up, not the height at which it stops which will remain constant. Unless the laws of physics are different for carburators

we are talking about raising the height of the float to adjust for the rate of flow to keep the fuel level sufficient to feed the jets

raising the float level will give the system more time to fill the chamber
88 750
90 906
92 907ie