battery going flat

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
jakarate1
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

battery going flat

Post by jakarate1 »

Hi guys,
i have recently replaced my old battery as it would go flat after a week of not riding, now my new battery is starting to go flat and will only start if i connect the battery charger also i have noticed the headlight gets brighter when i rev the bike.

any thoughts would be appreciated.
nickta
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: battery going flat

Post by nickta »

Most likely dodgy contacts in the Ignition switch. This a pretty common issue across the Paso/907 range, so can't see why it would be any different for the Sport? There are mod's for the Paso/907 which use the ignition switch to energise a relay, which then powers the bike (replaces the ignition switch contact with a better quality relay contact). Another mod is similar, but its for the Headlight circuit. Have a look in the Sport documents at the home page. If there is a mod for the Sport, that's were it will be.

Follow that up (or do it before) is check the operation of the Regulator. Clip a Multimeter across the battery, spark up the bike and see what the voltage does as you rev the bike. At idle, the volts should be around 12 to 12.5 volts. As the Rev's rise, the volts will go up and level out around 14.5 volts or there about. If it doesn't do anything, or goes well past 14.5 volts, then either the regulator is U/S, or the Alternator is.

Cheers.

Nick.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: battery going flat

Post by higgy »

also very common for the connection from the stator to the regulator to be burned up and in generally bad shape
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie