750 front brake service

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
deswoodau
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

750 front brake service

Post by deswoodau »

Hi All,

With such a small amount of clearance surrounding the front brake calipers, can anyone share some advise on how best to remove them?

I want to bleed the lines and replace the pads.

Thanks
D
bmw851
model: other

Re: 750 front brake service

Post by bmw851 »

D, it's fairly easy, just keep on wriggling the caliper from side to side pushing the pads/pistons in and then wriggle them off, you don't have to be that gentle with them, 1st time you do it can take awhile with the lack of space, but once you get them off it will be oh, I see now, it is a pain in the arse on these bikes, and thankfully they don't have to come off that often.

That's how I use to do it, unless another member has a easier way?

Also use to take the wheel out, reattach the calipers with chocks in between the pads them too bleed them as well, then go through all the same stuff to get them back on.

Cheers

Peter

Edit: Should clarify that, the calipers were refitted for bleeding when the 17" wheel conversion was done, which I've had a seniors moment and forgotten about, there was no way to get to the bleed nipples cleanly with the wheel on, the 16"s obviously have no such drama.

Just wiggle the calipers off, it's no big deal.
Last edited by bmw851 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Easiest way is to put a hose on the caliper bleed put the other end under some brake fluid in a jar or can to limit the amount of air the system takes in then crack the bleeder after making sure you have plenty of fluid in the brake reservoir. Most likely if its time for pads the reservoir will be low.
Crack the bleeder and then work on spreading the pads apart with the proper tool. Popsickle sticks sanded to a point are safe or buy the proper tool. if you scratch your rotors with metal tools you new pads will need burnishing before you trust your life with the new pads. Also it is a very bad idea to force dirty fluid back into the caliper sooner rather than later your caliper will seize or at the very least will need new seals. Same issue with not keeping your fluid free of air and dirt and moisture. Air travels up and lowers the mechanical advantage and once its up it don't go down just like a girlfriend you make a wife,dirt settles down and pistons seize and water just mucks up everything
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Given the age of the bike and the fact it was in storage for a number of years, wouldn't hurt to split the calipers and pop the pistons out and give everything a good clean as well.

Seal kits aren't horribly expensive for the 08's either.

Mine was a similar story as far as in storage for a number of years, bled and bled the brakes and just couldn't get any decent lever pressure, this went on for a year or so and finally decided to split them and put a seal kit through them, this is what was in the caliper, even after being flushed, sort of explains why.

Not a difficult task, says me and I'm mechanically challenged, didn't have a problem, but have done this type of job many times on various bikes, should have done this 1st i/o wasting so much time on bleeding and brake fluid.

deswoodau

Post by deswoodau »

Gents,

It's starting to sound like one of those "if it isn't broken leave it alone" scenarios!

I hate taking down brake systems on old bikes, it' bringing back nightmares……….. I'll mull this over and perhaps get seal kit in the interim. Anyone know the best place to buy the kit?

bmw851, you seem to know more about my bike than I? You inspected it at Old Gold? I've done a reasonable amount of work since bringing it home including re bleeding the clutch and rear lines (they bled quite easily). All the rusty fasteners and clamps have been replaced and I installed some black Verlicchi megaphones……a bit loud but a lot of fun :)

Thanks for the feedback.
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

deswoodau wrote: you seem to know more about my bike than I? You inspected it at Old Gold?
D, had a dang good look over it, sit on it, and started it.... also consider the owner of Old Gold a friend even though I'm a customer of their's, if I'd been in the right financial position at the time you wouldn't own it, I would :lol: mind you wouldn't be able to ride it though :-P a totally original Sport, getting to be a rare thing these days.

Mine was a great bike and when DKD manages to get the keys back off his son, :mrgreen: and ride it, loves it.

As with any of these Japanese imports they can be known to sit in storage for years over there, have no idea if yours was or wasn't, or a regularly runner for someone, (the following is an assumption on my part that it was in storage) the extremely good ones like yours could have come out of full uncover storage, but a lot are in the weather, regardless things do perish, gum up and so on with lack of use and for me, is just part and parcel of buying an import like that.

Personally I'd just treat the front brakes as a normal service item, flush, bleed, pads, don't see why it should go pear shaped, if your happy with how they are, as you say if it ain't broke, but it shouldn't be a nightmare either, have had that myself with other bikes, and do understand.

Cheers

Peter

Edit: Sorry what you actually asked about

http://ducati-gowanloch.com/catalog/bre ... -2981.html

deswoodau

Post by deswoodau »

Thanks for the info Peter. Now that the seed is sown I'll get around to pulling the calipers down and fit a seal kit………it's the missing link as I've been through everything else and have it running quite well.

Thanks for not buying it!

D.