Clutch plate problems

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
lumbux
model: 750 SS
year: 1991

Clutch plate problems

Post by lumbux »

I have just removed the plates from my early 750 super sport and the plates seem to have been put in by some one with no clue. There was a plan plate at the back. So few questions, the is a thick plate one sided at the front the a dished plate next, is there any way to identify this plate and how many of each plate should there be. Any help would be good. Thanks
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Clutch plate problems

Post by ducinthebay »

Hmm, not sure what you are asking, but if its the order of the clutch plates, I can take a stab at it.
At the bottom of the basket there is usually one thick steel plate, or two regular thickness steel plates.
If they have done the "quiet clutch" mod, there will be one slightly bent up friction plate underneath it.
The dished plate is usually the 2nd or 3rd steel plate. You can tell it by the wear marks. I don't know if it matters which way you install it.
Look at the manual to describe the overall stack height. I mix old steel plates from different manufacturer because they are different thicknesses, to achieve the ideal stack height.
There should be a steel plate on the top of the stack against the aluminum pressure plate.
I swap around the order of the plates when I take the clutch apart, just to even out the wear of them all.

Anyone tried the lithium lube on the clutch plates yet? Heard good things, but haven't had the guts to try it yet.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Clutch plate problems

Post by 900streetfighter »

I had a 750 Paso, dry clutch that had a thick one sided plate. Plain one side and friction the other. IIRC it was 1st plate in, friction side out.