89-90 900SS CLUTCH ? Stack height and plate numbers etc

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
tubehead
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

89-90 900SS CLUTCH ? Stack height and plate numbers etc

Post by tubehead »

My workshop manual is completely useless and I am guessing it has what looks like barnett friction plates (5 not counting the thick outer plate)and 6 steels 5 2mm thick 1one concave at 1.5mm .Have a feeling it should have 6 or 7 friction plates as my manual says min thickness is 2.8mm and mine measure 2.98-3.50 with virtually no material left?
Do you include the thick outer bronze friction plate when measuring stack height or is it just the steels and friction plates alone?
I got 28.8 mm with the thick plate included and 25.2 without it?The
Does anyone know the correct stack height for my model 89 900ss my manual does not even mention stack height or.?
Have not been able to find a complete clutch pack for my bike except here and they are out of stock.
ebay NEW Ducati Clutch Plate SET 851 888 907 Supersport 750 Paso F1 SS 900 Pack | eBay
Attachments
IMG_2497.jpg
IMG_2497.jpg (200.52 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: 89-90 900SS CLUTCH ? Stack height and plate numbers etc

Post by Mc tool »

My manual aint that clear either .... and neither is my memory but, if you have a mix of bronze and cork friction plates then you have part of 2 different kits , which aint necessary a bad thing. Problem is that spec's changed over time as improvements were made and stock levels were cut ( like where there were several different clutch packs for different models now the have a one for all ) any how it depends on what you have but usually you would start and finish with a steel plate as you don't want friction material against aluminium , specially if its bronze , if one steel plate is thicker than the others put it on 1st. Hang on a minute ... which side of the bike is the clutch slave cylinder..... just looking at the tangs they don't seem that worn which is unusual unless the slave is on the left side and the whole plot is held in with a circlip round the inside of the clutch basket .... in which case you have the same clutch as the 906 Paso and I think some of the early SS's did .... so before I blither on ( and I sure can :D ) where is that clutch slave cyl ? :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
tubehead
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Post by tubehead »

Right side slave cylinder.Same as the 906 Paso I think and if so the plate set up of mine is nothing like the diagram I saw on here but cannot seem to find now.
Attachments
IMG_1907 copy.jpg
IMG_1907 copy.jpg (348.7 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Ok there should be a friction plate with material on one side only , which is peculiar to the Paso type clutch, but apart from that your stack looks right to me. my book sez the friction plates should be 80 thou thick. I been looking at those kits on ebay and I cant see how they can fit both the Paso and the rest because the Paso needs that thick one sided plate to hold it all together , friction on both sides probly doesn't matter but you'd think that a thin outer plate would flex to much .... but maybe that isn't an issue either. From memory there aint a lot of friction material on them any how . If your clutch wasn't slipping I wouldn't loose to much sleep over stack height ,maybe that's why they don't mention it , they don't in the Paso manual either. Those ebay kits show 8 friction plates so allowing for one one sided one ( that you wouldn't use on an SS , 1098 ect ) still leaves you needing 7, MMmmmmmm , now you've got me stressing :lol: so I might go have a look at mine . :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time