Stored bike start vs regular starting

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
deswoodau
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Stored bike start vs regular starting

Post by deswoodau »

Hi,

I have an original 89 Sport running a Webber DCNF 44 carburettor which gets ridden perhaps once a month on standard 91 octane fuel. I generally charge the battery a day before riding and check it over before hand.

If it's been sitting for 4 - 6 weeks it takes at least 6 to 8 attempts before coming to life on full choke. Once up and running all is fine and warm starts throughout the ride are instant.

If I've ridden the bike a day or two prior it starts instantly, therefore when stored for a period of time it struggles to start on first attempt.

Could it be a fuel priming issue? Any ideas from the community would be appreciated.

Thanks
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Stored bike start vs regular starting

Post by paso750 »

how`s the battery? If it`s older it can lose its charge quicker and the voltage will drop if the bike is parked for some time. If it`s ridden it's getting charged and the engine will fire up instantly.
Check the voltage at the battery and coils (with engine off and engine running) and if you can do a battery drain test.