1988 750 sport pickup sensor

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
mickyfinn
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

1988 750 sport pickup sensor

Post by mickyfinn »

Hi Guys,

Got a faulty pickup sensor, done all the diagnosis as recommended in other posts as well as measuring resistance across each sensor, 100 ohms and pulsing on turning her over, versus open circuit and no pulse on the faulty pickup, tested it all the way up to the 2 joiners right at the sensor. Also swapping pickup connectors at the CDI moves the problem to the other cylinder.

Had a quick look on Stein Dinse and can't seem to find a replacement, although i have yet to email them, did find one on eBay 400 ohm, seller reckons not to put them on a Bosch cdi, mine are both Procom engineering replacements for the original Kokusans.(replaced 2 years ago)

Does anyone who has come across this issue before have any tips before i move forward, just a bit concerned that the pickup blew in the first place, seems unusual, maybe the old 100 ohm sensors didn't match the new cdi although the bike used to run great with them, but then failed after i left the bike sitting for around 18 months. Must mention though that i did replace the CDI's after a nephew reversed polarity on the battery and blew one of the CDI's, maybe that damaged the pickup and was just a matter of time before it failed.

Appreciate any input !

Cheers

Mick
Attachments
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG (47.16 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
IMG_1716.PNG
IMG_1716.PNG (168.54 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
mickyfinn

Re: 1988 750 sport pickup sensor

Post by mickyfinn »

Just answered my own question, ordered the 400 ohm pickup sensors which were the same physical size as the old ones, soldered them to the original cables (they are polarity sensitive) followed the wiring chart provided by the seller bike started first time and runs well !
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

:thumbup: Well done sorry none of our Sport owners could get back to you in time. but as they say

DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
mickyfinn

Post by mickyfinn »

Thanks Englishstiv, at least i learned something i suppose, and maybe this will help someone else out one day.
jhons
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by jhons »

Buongiorno a tutti , ho una ducati paso 750 del 1987 . Non riesco a fare funzionare un cilindro , non la candela non riceve l'impulso . Il meccanico mi ha detto che il problema sono i pickup . ho comprato i pickup dell'immagine con i fili bianco e rosso , ma la moto continua a non funzionare . Mi potreste dire dove posso comprare quelli originali o che funzionano ? Il problema sembra essere la resistenza , 220 quella consigliata , 400 quella dei pickup in foto . Mickyfinn per favore mi puoi dire come hai fatto a regolarli ? Grazie a tutti , Enzo .
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Enzo, quale cilindro non funziona?
Anche se la resistenza e la doppia la moto di mickyfinn funziona. Se capisco bene il tuo cilindro che funzionava prima funziona ancora. Cosi i pickup nuovi non possono essere il problema.
La prima cosa che dovresti provare e di scambiare le candele, quella del cilindro orizzontale con quella del verticale per vedere se il cilindro non funzionante cambia. In caso che non ha effetto fai lo stesso con le bobine d' accensione e poi con i due moduli CDI Kokusan. Cosi elimini che uno di quezzi pezzi e il vero problema.
Poi misuri anche il voltaggio alle bobine (cavo arancio).
Controlla anche la resistenza degli pickup vecchi.
Facci sapere i risultati.