ducatipaso.org
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/

loss of oil
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7653
Page 1 of 1

Author:  jakarate1 [ Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:45 am ]
Post subject:  loss of oil

help please, just rode my bike for two minutes and noticed oil all over my motor and it was completely drained i think it was coming from air filter. i took of tank and looked at air filter and the bottom was soaked in oil

Author:  Frank.61 [ Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: loss of oil

Hi,

Stupid question maybe, but did you change the oil previously? (overfill)

Frank

Author:  jakarate1 [ Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: loss of oil

Frank.61 wrote:
Hi,

Stupid question maybe, but did you change the oil previously? (overfill)

Frank


yes i did, if it was over filled would that cause all the oil to be forced out?

Author:  Frank.61 [ Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: loss of oil

Yes, most likely ...

The air that normale escapes from the engine is fed back to the airfilter, if it is overfilled there is also a lot of oil that will end up in the airfilter.
So gently tap off the excess oil (that's where the sight glass comes in ;) ), clean the airfilter house and if the filter is contaminated with oil, you'll need a fresh one.
Clean your engine from the excess oil and all should be ok again.

Good luck, let me know if all went well.

It sounds maybe a little strange but too little is always better than to much (with regard to engine oil).

Frank

Author:  jakarate1 [ Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: loss of oil

Frank.61 wrote:
Yes, most likely ...

The air that normale escapes from the engine is fed back to the airfilter, if it is overfilled there is also a lot of oil that will end up in the airfilter.
So gently tap off the excess oil (that's where the sight glass comes in ;) ), clean the airfilter house and if the filter is contaminated with oil, you'll need a fresh one.
Clean your engine from the excess oil and all should be ok again.

Good luck, let me know if all went well.

It sounds maybe a little strange but too little is always better than to much (with regard to engine oil).

Frank


thanks Frank, i took the sump plug out expecting no oil but about 4 liters came out mainly mixed with petrol. i had noticed that the fuel tap was left on after not riding for about 18 months so i think the petrol drained into the oil somehow so hopefully after new oil, filter and petrol thing should be okay

Author:  paso750 [ Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: loss of oil

Quote:
yes i did, if it was over filled would that cause all the oil to be forced out?

Of course not as otherwise we`d all have no oil left in the engine. :) The oil level can only drop down to a certain point (if there`s no leak). The oil was in the oil fumes that are pushed out the crankcase as Frank said. Strange though that so much oil got to the airfilter as there is an oil catch container connected between crankcase breather and airbox which lets the liquid oil run back into the engine and only the fumes get to the airbox.

If the fuel tap was left open all the time and the fuel ran into the crankcase you know that the issue is in the carb. Either the float neelde doesn`t shut properly, the needle valve is not ok or not clean or the floater has become porous, absorbed some fuel and lowered itself letting fuel run through the carb. If there`s such an issue your fresh oil will become contaminated again. You won`t notice rightaway if you use the bike more often but when the fairings are off remove the oil input screw and see if you smell petrol.

G.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/