Where to start in regards to a 17 inch rear wheel conversion

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
1989750Sport
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Where to start in regards to a 17 inch rear wheel conversion

Post by 1989750Sport »

Hi all,
Saw a couple of threads about using a rear wheel with a 17mm axle.
1. So I've located a wheel and he's verifying the axle size.

What model and years shoul I look for? 1990 907ie ... any others?

2. It has a tyre; a 160-17

3. Disc is included so I'm looking for a rear brake bracket to match?

4. That leaves me in need do a spacer. Was going to bore some zinc washers and glue them together until I got the spacing right. Then have a permanent spacer machined.

Seems realatively cut and dry, but I tend to put the ass in assume, so what am I missing?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Where to start in regards to a 17 inch rear wheel conver

Post by Mc tool »

Not that I have looked into a 750 sport conversion but you may save yourself a bunch of agro by getting a whole ( late 90's ) ally swing arm and wheel/disc/caliper of a 900ss. And , if the 750 sport has M1R forks and you use a ducati front wheel as well you will have to loose 4mm off either the inner fork leg ( where the speedo drive bears against it ), the speedo drive or a combo of both as the Ducati 17" wheel needs to go 4mm to the left to line up properly . Give some thought to the speedo drive as not all 17's are the same and they are diff to the 16" speedo ( Not just the gearing but the shape/ fitment as well ). A bonus to using the duke front wheel is that with a readily available set of brackets 4 pot Brembo's will fit onto either 300 or 320mm disc's (invert the bracket ) and line up fine ........after you have moved the wheel 4mm to the left ( not as big a drama as you might think ) and the standard axle will work with a change of bearing size ( depending which model of duke you get the wheels off :) Another option for the speedo , depending on local laws , you may be able to fit one of then relatively cheap GPS on screen display read outs . I have one on my Capri as the old standard speedo tells different sized lies every time I looked at it ...........unless it really can do 125mph :D .... works a treat

Oh , you only need to post in one forum , some of us are so despite for entertainment we will read anyything new :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
1989750Sport
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Re: Where to start in regards to a 17 inch rear wheel conver

Post by 1989750Sport »

Thanks! I've got a 40 mm front fork, so that may be less of an in issue, maybe more. I switched the rear swingarm on my paso to a 907 some years back, but I like the verilicci swingarm on the sport and so far the it doesn't look like I'll do anythink but fit a spacer, if I use the rear break etc and brake from the 1996 ss