It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where to start in regards to a 17 inch rear wheel conversion
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:36 pm 

model: 750 Sport
year: 1989
Hi all,
Saw a couple of threads about using a rear wheel with a 17mm axle.
1. So I've located a wheel and he's verifying the axle size.

What model and years shoul I look for? 1990 907ie ... any others?

2. It has a tyre; a 160-17

3. Disc is included so I'm looking for a rear brake bracket to match?

4. That leaves me in need do a spacer. Was going to bore some zinc washers and glue them together until I got the spacing right. Then have a permanent spacer machined.

Seems realatively cut and dry, but I tend to put the ass in assume, so what am I missing?

Post subject: Re: Where to start in regards to a 17 inch rear wheel conver
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:29 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
Not that I have looked into a 750 sport conversion but you may save yourself a bunch of agro by getting a whole ( late 90's ) ally swing arm and wheel/disc/caliper of a 900ss. And , if the 750 sport has M1R forks and you use a ducati front wheel as well you will have to loose 4mm off either the inner fork leg ( where the speedo drive bears against it ), the speedo drive or a combo of both as the Ducati 17" wheel needs to go 4mm to the left to line up properly . Give some thought to the speedo drive as not all 17's are the same and they are diff to the 16" speedo ( Not just the gearing but the shape/ fitment as well ). A bonus to using the duke front wheel is that with a readily available set of brackets 4 pot Brembo's will fit onto either 300 or 320mm disc's (invert the bracket ) and line up fine ........after you have moved the wheel 4mm to the left ( not as big a drama as you might think ) and the standard axle will work with a change of bearing size ( depending which model of duke you get the wheels off :) Another option for the speedo , depending on local laws , you may be able to fit one of then relatively cheap GPS on screen display read outs . I have one on my Capri as the old standard speedo tells different sized lies every time I looked at it ...........unless it really can do 125mph :D .... works a treat

Oh , you only need to post in one forum , some of us are so despite for entertainment we will read anyything new :lol:

Post subject: Re: Where to start in regards to a 17 inch rear wheel conver
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:51 am 

model: 750 Sport
year: 1989
Thanks! I've got a 40 mm front fork, so that may be less of an in issue, maybe more. I switched the rear swingarm on my paso to a 907 some years back, but I like the verilicci swingarm on the sport and so far the it doesn't look like I'll do anythink but fit a spacer, if I use the rear break etc and brake from the 1996 ss