750 F1 Sport Newby

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Desmokallus
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

750 F1 Sport Newby

Post by Desmokallus »

Hi to all on the forum.

I am currently in the market for a 750 Sport. I am off to see one this Sunday but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone could share some wisdom.

Thus far all I know of the bike I am viewing is that it was registered in 1990 and was one of the last sports to leave the factory. It has a Tricolore colourway and its running mikuni carbs ( webbers there with it too). She has been stored for about 6 years so will need some tlc etc etc... I will know more come sunday.

Are these bikes becoming more rarer/sought after as I don't see many about - which I like. I like to be different.
Also this will be my first restoration project - are these bikes easy to work on and are they reliable - I hear they are?!

Anyway here is some pics. I will post better ones on sunday.

Thanks in advance

Cris
Attachments
5a1b_1.JPG
5a1b_1.JPG (28.72 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
4a00_1.jpg
4a00_1.jpg (47.41 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Re: 750 F1 Sport Newby

Post by Mc tool »

Hi Chris , welcome to the mad house . Bike looks good , and the mikuni's are a bonus. The bike itself is a reliable thing as long as it gets the care it needs and there aint nothing special there . Desmo vale gear takes a bit more time to sort and as the adjustment is by shims it isn't just a tweek of a screw to set clearance but they are not complicated , there are one or two pitfalls .
As far as value is concerned , even good ones don't seem to get the money I think they should . I turned one down ( NZ$1500 ) , a real shitter , but on reflection ( yeah yeah :lol: ) I should have bought it ..... even if I just chucked it in a corner for later.
They are a good ride , and if you don't flog the arse of it ( the more time you spend near the redline the more you will have to service the valves ) it will give good service , should be good on fuel. Not to sure about the later models but the older ones usually need the electrix repaired/ modded , again nothing major , add a relay here and there , check grounds and starter cables ( there is a very good upgrade kit available )and general cleaning of plugs and switches.
I would think that now is a good time to buy one as they are not that thick on the ground and originality is probly where the value is . I am pretty sure that if you can do your bit there is nothing we cant sort :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
1989750Sport
year: 1989

Post by 1989750Sport »

Nice looking bike! They definitely ride well. A sort of budget F1, with kind of a cult following in the U.K.
Desmokallus

Post by Desmokallus »

HI mate,

Thanks for replying to my post.

I dont know too much about her yet. Im sure she will be nice its its coming from a collector with 65 Ducati' in his garage.

He is asking £1200 GBP albeit needs, belts, valves, new fluids and some tlc etc etc. I am just hoping its worth the time and effort to restore and keep in the garage for a few years and hopefully then go up in value?!
Desmokallus

Post by Desmokallus »

1989750Sport wrote:Nice looking bike! They definitely ride well. A sort of budget F1, with kind of a cult following in the U.K.
I haven't seen or heard from anybody with one. Ive asked on the forums but no one has got back to me... yet?!

Do you have one?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

1200 nicker ! seems cheap to me , like if I could buy that and spend another 1200 getting it here I wouldn't waist to much time thinkin about it . Belts aren't much and a valve job might not be to bad . The opening clearance usually close up so you can grind a bit off the opener shim so no money there , but the closers usually need replaced as you cant really make them bigger ,sometimes you can swap shims about a bit to get them within spec. I would invest in some MTB valve collets as the stock ones are crap, often as not one or more will be broken and changing them to MTB will often sort the closing clearances too ( when you 1st fit them ) :)
Desmokallus

Post by Desmokallus »

Thanks for the tip mate. I will find out more tomo and share the info. Hopefully more can chip in with some good advice like yourself.

It has the webber carb so I was potentially gonna sell them on as they are going for good money so that could help with the restore.

Cris
1989750Sport
year: 1989

Post by 1989750Sport »

So did you get it?
Desmokallus

Post by Desmokallus »

1989750Sport wrote:So did you get it?

Not yet. Still debating... I'm gonna hold off until after xmas.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

experience tells me that if you dither someone else will swoop in............and leave you wishing you'd acted more decisively . Believe me that bike will look 10 times better if some other bastard gets it