1988 750 SPORT WONT START

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
jimg1au
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

1988 750 SPORT WONT START

Post by jimg1au »

hi my sport will not start after leaving it for a week or so
if i use areo start it will start and run then no problem starting once it has run
i have done a hole 51klm on it and the new plugs i put i are sooty black
its been sitting around for a while not used
it has a full tank of new pump gas as i ran out 500 meters from home
i have changed the belts
the starting problem has got to a stage now it wont start without areo start (either in a can)
i have not checked anything yet but i think
new air filter to start
new oil filter and oil
new plugs again if then it wont start off to the ducati workshop
jim
sydney
australia
Challenger392
year: 1990

Re: 1988 750 SPORT WONT START

Post by Challenger392 »

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Change/check your fuel filters. Then try again.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Asuming there was a time when the bike was starting up well one main question should be has something been done to it between back then and now? I.e. is it possible the belts are not sitting correctly and are one tooth off?
Since the plugs are sooty and black I'm guessing there is fuel. There are numerous possibilities. One is there's an electrical problem and the spark is too weak. So measure if you get the full voltage at the coils. Another potential cause could be that the carb's float needle valve doesn't seal and fuel is overflowing into the cylinders. Is there any strong fuel smell from the exhaust or is there backfiring after the engine started? Has the oil level increased? If you change it smell if the oil has smell of fuel. If it does fix the carb before filling up with fresh oil.
Be careful using starter aid spray. Only use little of it as it will wash the oil from the cylinders.
jimg1au
year: 1988

Post by jimg1au »

Put some hotter plugs in and gave the symptoms of a flooded engine eventually started and ran well leaving it for two days and will try and start again no arostart