Brake Pads

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
f1steveuk

Brake Pads

Post by f1steveuk »

I have to replace the pads front and rear on my Paso pretty soon. As I travel back to the UK fairly regularly, I can pick up EBC pads of various types easily, and will go for HH sintered pads (unless there is a major reason why I can't!!!!???) It looks a simple job (7 years in F1 and an apprenticeship with a Rolls-Royce garage and one time museum curator should make it easy) but I have been here before where there is a little knack or tip which without it your snookered. So is it pop the plastic covers, remove the pins, pull the pads, push the pistons back, copperslip the back plates, insert new pads, install pins, clip plastic covers back on, or is there more!!!!!!!!! Ta in advance
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

So I take it from the huge response, the job is as easy as I think it is!!!??
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

It's no sweat, Steve. However, it's while since I did mine, and seem to remember it's easiest to remove the caliper assemblies to do it - leaving the hoses connected, of course.

Just remember to check that all the hose unions, which may have been disturbed, are all tight when the caliper assemblies are back in place, because air leaks in the brakes can cost you your life.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I'm going to go for the HH pads, as the "Green Stuff" ones seems to wear that rotors very very quickly. Next then is a set of Goodridge hoses!
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Brake Pads

Post by JWilliam »

If you are using the standard cast iron disc you must be careful of your choice of pad material. Sintered bronze will be too hard and will abraid the disc. Remove the pads, part pump out a piston and use the workshops best friend (wire wool) to clean arond the part emerged piston. Finish off by applying copaslip and then get to work on the other three, I don't use copaslip but a thin film of lithium grease but don't let me stop you.