New guy just saying hello and already needing help

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
decesaro

New guy just saying hello and already needing help

Post by decesaro »

Just wanted to say hi and wanted to say its great to see a site dedicated to the wonderful paso .

I just picked up my second ducati a 1990 906 in blue ,my first bike being a 06 800ss it made me want more :D so I set out to find a bike that was different than the first and that was the paso ,wow what a cool bike its got this look to it that no other bike in its time had .
A little history about the bike that I know is it has 24,000 miles its plastic is near perfect and is in overall nice shape it was sitting for a time but the owner before me had it tuned up this season and was riding it ,it also just got new tires and a chain this year.
The problem is all I get is clicking form the starting relay when I hit the button . I checked the battery (its new) and checked for any loose connections . I did notice the owner before him hooked up two toggle switches one to turn off the lights when running and the other to turn on the radiator fan when not running ,I dont know if this has anything to do with it but if I could locate a wiring diagram it would help my battle . Other than the switches it seems to not been hacked at all . The other issue is there seems to be a short in the unit under the ignition (another name for it please) where you put the key in , if I wiggle it all lights come on , is this something I can get new or will I be going in to resolder it ?
Well I guess Ill get back to work and if I can think of anything else Ill chime in
Thanks

Also does anybody know were to find a manual on the bike , has someone uploaded it to the web yet ?
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Please, put bike to normal condition(wiring!!!), then we can help You much more.... :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

You need to test the voltage on the relay.
I happened to hear the "klik" with no starting because of rost and bad connection in the plugging of the main switch. Someone happened to have a broken switch but I think this is not your situation. Test also voltage on the screwed connection of the starter (you'll need to take away the right side of the bodywork)
as brushes in the starter might be gone. Replacing them (still available for newer engines) without removing the starter from the engine is quite a hard work and requires a skilled mechanic but it can be done (the workshop manual has the instructions for removing the starter, during dismantling engine!!! :eek: )
Have a nice work, Nicola
Oh, By the way! in the 750 forum there's a post with F.A.Q. answers, including wiring upgrade to solve electrical troubles :thumbup:
decesaro

Post by decesaro »

Thanks for ideas, Today I got a chance to check the contacts on the ignition and all seems to be better now that I made sure there on there tight . I also checked for voltage down by the starter and it was reading only 11.5 v , so I put the battery on a 2 amp charge over night while I go to work . Hopfully thats the problem
As far as the toggles Im going to have to do a little research on what the guy did before I start tearing into it .
Is there a way to jump the starter without hitting the run button to see if its the started ? Also does anybody know how to check the voltage regulator ? I really need to locate a shop manual for this bike it would make my life alot easier .
Thanks for the help so far :thumbup:
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

just shortcut from the battery to the "30" (the smaller) plug of the starter relay with small wire or bypass also the relay putting a thicker cable on the scrwed output of that (beware of sparks!) :thumbup:
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
decesaro

Post by decesaro »

ducapaso wrote:just shortcut from the battery to the "30" (the smaller) plug of the starter relay with small wire or bypass also the relay putting a thicker cable on the scrwed output of that (beware of sparks!) :thumbup:
Can I just use a jumper system by going right to the starter and bypassing the hole system all together to rule out the starter whether its good or bad ? Or would this not be a good idea ?
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

external jumpers makes no troubles to the starter, but are poison for electronic control units of ignition, so use it only staight to the screwed plugging of the starter without pushing the start button :thumbup:
have a nice work, Nicola
decesaro

Post by decesaro »

ducapaso wrote:external jumpers makes no troubles to the starter, but are poison for electronic control units of ignition, so use it only staight to the screwed plugging of the starter without pushing the start button :thumbup:
have a nice work, Nicola
Thanks Nicola I had heard that before about the electronics not liking the high amps .
I was going to disconnect the wire on the starter and then go right to it with the jumper to make sure it works , it sounds like a good idea to rule out the starter.
Ill let you know later how it goes
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

decesaro,

just make sure you haven't got hydraulic lock, it's happened to me a few times when my dellorto carb hasn't shut off properly overnight and filled the cylinder with fuel. Same symptoms.

I just put it into 6th gear and turn the rear wheel slowly to drain the cylinder.

jomo
decesaro

Post by decesaro »

jomo wrote:decesaro,

just make sure you haven't got hydraulic lock, it's happened to me a few times when my dellorto carb hasn't shut off properly overnight and filled the cylinder with fuel. Same symptoms.

I just put it into 6th gear and turn the rear wheel slowly to drain the cylinder.

jomo
Thanks jomo I got it started last week , it was the starter, one of the magnets on the sleeve fell off and was jamming the armature . It was a zero dollar fix :D . I did pull the plugs out before anything and rotated the engine to make sure it wasnt locked up, thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Were you able to make this repair with the starter still on the engine or did you remove it?
decesaro

Post by decesaro »

jcslocum wrote:Were you able to make this repair with the starter still on the engine or did you remove it?

I was able to do it without removing the primarry cover , I removed the brush plate cover and slipped the sleeve out over the armmature. It was easy getting it apart but going back together took a little more time, but all in all it was easy.
Take care