Front tires - 130/70/16

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
duckman

Front tires - 130/70/16

Post by duckman »

Hi all

I have been advised by my local tire centre that they have fitted 130/70/16's to Paso's with good results.

I am considering this as it seems you would get a more modern tire (I think they are generally fitted to early Honda Fireblades) for a smaller outlay than buying the 135/60/16 Michelin.

- I am specifically looking at fitting a Michelin Pilot Sport.

Has anyone out there tried this?

Thanks
Mark
year: 0

Post by Mark »

Hi Duckman,

A couple of years ago I had a 130/70/16 Metzler tire fitted to my 750 Paso at the same time as a new Michelin 160/60/16. New front Michelin tyres were not available in Switzerland at the time.

Apart from having to fit spacers for the front mud guard, the handling of the bike was crap, in particular at low speeds. My garage tryed fitting a 160/70/16 Metzler to compensate the poor handling but it apparently didn't fit. When the front tyre warmed up it increased the rolling radius even further and changed the overall geometry. As a result I ended up riding my DB1SR a lot more and my 750 Paso was left sulking in the garage under a dust cover...

Last year new Michelin 16 inch tyres arrived so I had a new 130/60/16 Michelin fitted on the Paso (and also had new front and rear Michelins fitted on the DB1SR) and the handling (of both bikes) was literally transformed. I was so impressed that I wondered why people bothered to change to 17 inch wheels. On the other hand I'm a proud father, don't ride like a maniac and hence am not qualified to determine whether a 17 inch conversion makes sense.

Regarding 17 inch conversions, I spoke to Marchesini a couple of years ago, visited Marvic in Italy at least twice and have also spoken to Dymag in the UK. I concluded that I
- would need to stick with 60 series 17 inch tyres, probably 130/60/17 on the front wheel and 160 or 170/60/17 on the rear wheel,
- would love to use the 280mm 851 Tricolore fully floating Brembo disks,
- would finally end up fitting the Brembo P4s,
- would have to lengthen the side stand,
- would risk changing the overall geometry of the bike,
- would spend at least Euro 1700.- on beautiful Penta II Marvics, and
- may not be happy with the result afterwards.

My overall conclusion is to stick with standard Michelin tyres as long as they are produced in batches every other year or so and save up enough money for a Gilera Saturno with 17 inch wheels...

All the best,

Mark
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

Greetings to all,

Regarding the front tyres, I changed from Michelin to the Bridgestone 130/70-16 a couple of years back and and found them outstanding. I will never go back.

Back in November '04 I decided to try a Pirelli Diablo and found it to be an excellent tyre for grip and confidence, but it was difficult to get it to lean and to change directions.

Ten of us went to the Victorian Alpine region in the southern part of Australia for a 1 week blast on every twisty road we could find. It rained 6 of the 7 days and included about 300 km of dirt (mud) in the 3200 km trip. As I said, grip was great but the bike felt heavy.

Tyre wear is another issue, I can only get 6000km per tyre out of the Bridgestone and the Pirelli looks half worn as well. From memory I think I used to get about 7000 km. (I think the Bridestone is about 10% cheaper anyway).

In conclusion, I think I will go back to the Bridgestone. There is little difference in the mileage and you have to be confident in your tyres to ride properly. The Bridestone was as good at the end as it was at the start, the same can't be said for the Michelin.

Regards,

JOMO
jomo

Post by jomo »

An update on the Pirelli front tyre. Seems I was using a faulty tyre guage.....amazing how your trusted gauge fails at the same time you change tyres?

I have upped the pressure in the front and the Pirelli feels just as good as the Bridgestone. I need more time to compare.

The Michelins however are still garbage. Some things never change!
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Hey Jomo, what sort of Bridgestones are you running? I have not heard of a suitable bridgey before & am very keen on this. I like the michelins but have found that the rear feathers easily & it makes the bike squirilly in the corners as it is running on this little lip of rubber that wont wear off & grows as the tyre wears down. I have also found that the rear wears faster than the front. (well the front sides wear fast but the middle of the tyre is still good) I just replaced the rear with an A59 & still have some left on the front A39. normally i would replace both together but as I had to spent $500 on replacing the regulator rectifier & decided to make the front last another 1500 - 2000 Km. BAD DECISION . :mad: I am not enjoying the ride as the front & rear have completely different feels now & I have littel confidance in the front as a result. I am certianly no troy Bayliss but I do like the bike to feel confidant in the front, it just makes the ride so much better.

I used to run Bridgestones on a Suzuki GSX600F I had about 15 years ago & was impressed with them. My Brother has always used Battlax's on his '81 Hailwood replica & I have always found them to be impressive.

Thank you, you feed back is appreciated.
jomo

Post by jomo »

Redpaso,

Bridgestone tyre I used is the Battleaxe BT010. I must admit it hasn't lasted long and it is showing signs of feathering, but never felt anything but good.

At the same wear level, the Michelin was wanting to fall into corners and toward the end of it's life would give severe head shakes when you took the pressure of the handlebars.

I say long live the Bridgestone and Pirelli on the Paso(well not more than 6000k I suppose) and Michelin should be ashamed of themselves! I think Michelin can only make tyres to suit French cars!
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Suzuki RMX250
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

jomo wrote:Redpaso,

... the Michelin was wanting to fall into corners and toward the end of it's life would give severe head shakes when you took the pressure of the handlebars.
I know that feeling, it is even worse with a new rear /old front combo, I better put a new front Michelin on so I can wear them both out & try the Bridgestone option. was it a straight fit?
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
jomo

Post by jomo »

redpaso, don't even think about the Michelin, go straight to the Brigestone or Pirelli. Trust me! I'm a real estate agent!

About 6 washers to lift the front guard. Too easy! No more bad habits, even if your tyre pressures are low.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Suzuki RMX250
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

I was looking at you paso in the gallery & it looks like you had teh bridgy on teh front with the Michelin on the rear so I will take your advice & go for the Bridgy ASAP. What price should I be looking at? :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
jomo

Post by jomo »

I think it was around $170 fitted.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »