906 carb mod?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
adie906

906 carb mod?

Post by adie906 »

Good day people.
Having just joined, but owned my Paso for more than a decade its about time.....
As an engineer in the motor trade I am quite at home with all things mechanical and like Ducatis in particular, having owned several from a 350 single some years back.
Anyway, my question is that I recall reading somewhere that the carb on the paso is incorrectly jetted from the factory and so would be very interested to know what the fix is exactly. Anyone help?
I've just been for a blat on the bike which is the first in several months and it is still great!
Cheers
Adie
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

I'm not a 906 owner but we have a good Tech FAQ in the 750 forum and there is a bit of info on the weber. How much crosses over to the 906, I don't know.
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

906 carb mod?

Post by JWilliam »

You are right that the jetting for the 906 can be improved. I run a straight thru' exhaust and a competition air filter with my Paso so any changes to my Weber jetting may not be suitable for yours. Send me a message with an off .org email address and I might share these settings with you (developed by racing).
adie906

Re: 906 carb mod?

Post by adie906 »

Thanks for that. I'm running the standard cans with an aftermarket foam air filter and a fuel pressure regulator, and the low speed throttle response is not great. I would suppose that your jetting would be too rich for this setup.
Cheers.
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

906 carb mod?

Post by JWilliam »

I never found the throttle response that poor when I first rode my Paso, but I did step off a Honda NS400R. The standard exhausts won't help but check the idle screw jets (amount of turns out). Check also that the throttle injector pumps aren't blocked - this can happen when the 'bike is stored. My Paso doesn't really move below 3000 so don't think that yours is off tune if you are expecting it to take off at 2000. The changes to my Paso jetting are geared towards high rpm power delivery anyway and there a number of other mods to be made to improve the firing. Try Bauke Meidema's electric relay mod to the ignition unit for one, and I recommend changing the standard ignition coils for Kawasaki GPZ500 units (greater primary coil impedance - preventing overloading of the ignition unit).