Crankcase breather plug

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
MetalHurlant

Crankcase breather plug

Post by MetalHurlant »

Hi Folks,
What would be causing oil to be leaking out from the crankcase breather plug on my 906? I have replaced the plug with a new one and the hose and clamps as well, but it still leaks.
It seems to get worse when I have a cylinder drop out, which is happening very frequently now, but I'm worried that compression is getting through the rings into the crankcase - can anyone help?

Ian
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Better, that You check compressing pressures and also that flow passing piston rings..... I dont know english word, but in Finland that is "ohivirtaus mittaus" :laugh:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Finnpaso wrote:I dont know english word, but in Finland that is "ohivirtaus mittaus" :laugh:
Hey Antti,
we could have some little problem with the Finn language :rant: :laugh: :rant: :laugh: ....
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Ian,

If the crankcase is getting pressurised then you may have broken piston rings. This happened to me many years ago with a bevel drive (OK I know the lubrication systems are very different and have completely different pressures) but the concept is the same. If the crankcase is getting pressurised (hence the consistent oil leak) it must come from somewhere above the piston. So, rings could be broken, hole in piston, all good stuff like that.
When the rings were broken on my old bevel (front cylinder), there was no noticeable performance difference, but the crankcase breather was very active and would spread oil over the rear of the bike.
Also had a little Honda once that had a hole in the piston, the crankcase breather pipe would flap around like a flag in a strong wind, due to the high pressure.

Fraser.
MetalHurlant

Post by MetalHurlant »

Thanks Fraser, that seems to be it. I'll run some compression tests.....more money.........what a joy these 906's are!

Ian