Paso Clutch

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
alextnec

Paso Clutch

Post by alextnec »

I know that this is a topic that keeps getting brought up. But I wanted to ask specifics like how much is the clutch slave supposed to throw from fully in gear to neutral ? Meaning when you remove the screws and clutch springs how much movement should you see on the clutch basket with the stop ring installed?

What is the stack height in the paso's spec'ed out to be I see many other newer ducati bikes are 38mm +-2mm and there is no way that a 38mm stack will work in my paso. I am seeing about 34mm on my stack and was wondering is that correct ? It seems that the basket will only support about 36mm. I was told by a very reputable dealer that they only install one spring plate in the clutch and the kit I ordered only came with one so I assume that is correct.

I have heard a few things that I am not too sure if they are true. First is that Ducati replaced the thick single sided friction plate in the end of the clutch with a double sided friction disc. I don't believe it cause I picked a single sided friction disc up today. And second is it true that there is a change on the shifter rod that comes out the side of the crankcase? Something about a sheet metal thingy on the inside that causes problems with shifts has been upgraded?

My clutch is a pain in the butt it seems to creep some and not engage neutral no matter what arrangement the clutch plates are in. I have bled the hell out of the lines and they look good, replaced the clutch slave piston completely. Replaced all the clutch discs. However I see some wear on the center of the clutch control disc (the thing that bolts to the top and holds the springs tight). How much wear is acceptable because about 1 mm is worn away

Has anyone removed the 1st smooth plate and started with a friction plate against the inside basket ? Because when I do that I am able to get alot more throw. Is that normal ? Is it normal to only use one spring plate ? I have searched and read almost all clutch sequence orders but none make sense as I only see four types a thick single sided friction plate, a curved flat plat, a flat plate, and double friction. I see many notes about thin and thick smooth plates but not sure where this is coming from .

Any advice or answers would be much appreciated. As it would be great for new owners to get the right information quickly and easily for their paso...
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

it seems to creep some and not engage neutral no matter what arrangement the clutch plates are in
just to throw in 2 more ideas. There`s no air in the clutch line, right ? Are you sure you can exclude the gear changing forks as reason ? That`s a common cause if you cannot get into neutral or gears shift hard.
alextnec

Post by alextnec »

I can absolutely say that the lines have no air.
When the bike is not running the gears change perfectly.
Here in a couple of hours I will have a brand new clutch control disc and hopefully the wear that I am seeing is the cause of this problem.

I don;t think it is a problem with the forks, it seems as the clutch is dragging and not fully engaging in neutral.