906 repairs / adjustments

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
enzo906

906 repairs / adjustments

Post by enzo906 »

Hi Guys,
It's been 8 weeks and I have pulled the bike down 3 times now. Each time I ride it something new needs doing. I am now leaking fluid from the small hole on the water pump.
Is that a repair that can be done easily with your normal range of tools (No special tools or pullers etc)?
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Also I have followed all the topic's on Dell Orto's but still have that cough back through the carby when the bike is cold and occaisionally when it is hot. I have tried richer pilots but it does not seem to change anything. The valve clearances are OK
No signs of leaks or loose manifolds, the carbies are in good condition.
K4 needles
58 Pilots with K&N filters
6.5 slides (Modified 6.0 slides - which helped a little)

I have tried 60 pilots and 1/2 turn less on the accelerator pump which did nothing and have gone back to the previous settings. The bike was originally setup by a Ducati Shop, the carb conversion Flowed heads and Dyno Tuned all before I bought it.

Any Ideas?
All help is greatly appreciated
Cheers
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Hi Enzo,
the water leak from the pump is a frequent issue.
It's quite easy fix it: you need only replace the ring on the shaft.
The water pump is the same of the later Ducati, so you wouldn't have any problem to find it.

Unfortunately, I haven't any experience with the Dellorto carbs. I cant' help you.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
marshman

Post by marshman »

Howzit
Welcome to 906 land,once your on top of it dude" she'll be right !bro".The faults are plentiful but are all easily overcome.Most parts [crank ]are shared with 907,851,916,ST2 etc [eg all water cooled models] Couple questions : How you testing for manifold air leaks ??have you set vacuum for ignition unit[assuming you got OEM Magnetti-marreli digiplex unit]
Ducs are very easy to work on if you have a good mechanical mind .Common size hex heads all over .but beware the Italians like 15mm as a bolthead size.
Cheers Andrew
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

Enzo,

Andrew is right, you should make sure you have no vacuum leaks. My Dells used to have a minifold vac hose going to the Mgnetti-Marelli, but when I changed to the Silent Hektik ignition, it has no vac advance. So I just plugged the manifold.

The dellortos do have a habit of coughing when cold. I will have to look at my jet sizes. I thought I wrote them down, but I can't find them.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250