906 clutch noise - told it's normal?!

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
TDIT

906 clutch noise - told it's normal?!

Post by TDIT »

Hello all!!
Well, this isn't my first Ducati (one of four), but it is my first post - so greetings from Down Under!

I have the pleasure of owning a 906 Paso - 1989 model and I love it. It's grunty and responsive, and though I've only had it for 2 weeks, I'm fast becoming a huge fan!

However, there is one thing about it I am not found of, though I don't know if there's anything that can be done. It's the clutch, it's soo damn noisey! Pull in the lever and it sounds like the clutch assembly is scraping on the inside of the casing! It works perfectly though, no draging, finding neutral on idle is painless, and there's no slip (over reving) hot or cold. So from an operational perspective I can't flaw it, but the sound!!... The clutch is also noisey on idle in neutral (before the lever is pulled in). This deminishes 'a little' when the level is pulled in 10% only, anything after that and the scraping noise starts.

Now, I took the bike to arguably the best Ducati workshop in Sydney (Australia), which is where it is now for a new purchase 'once over' and 80000km service. I've asked them to have at it and their comment was it's typical for the bike and these hydrolic clutches, but they'll see what they can do. So, while it's in the hands of the mechanics I ask you, the people who may have come across this before, please fill in the blanks for me - even if it's say 'yes, they are a bit noisey.'

I have an '82 600 Pantah, '78 900 Darmah, and '97 750SS - all of which have silent clutches in comparison to the 906 - which is why I find it hard to believe they're all this way.

Thanks to all!
steele

Post by steele »

My paso doesnt have a very noisey clutch ........well compared to my ST4 it doesnt :evil:
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

When you arre in a ducati shop, you can compare the noise with the one of the other 6 gears ducati engines...
Somebody was fooling me saying that clutch noise sounds like "shaking a pan full of forks and knifes! :neener: " (the "neer" was included in the description!)
That's the way I prefer 750 5speed engines! :eek:
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Do you have some kind of holed/opened clutch cover :evil: :evil: :evil: ???
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
TDIT

Post by TDIT »

Hi All!
Thanks for the replies. I've read all that you;ve posted and looked up ofhter posts and those from other sites. All seem to suggest I have a bad clutch assembly, or a bad/ dry bearing in there.

The cover is sealed, ie: the standard, and in comparision to the other Duke's in the stable well, all I can say is I've not heard anything like it.

I have come across several references to clutch upgrades on the 906 (which go hand in hand with bikes which have had their engines spec'd up also), so I may ask the mechanics to do one of these now. The way I look at it, the bike's done 80000km's and 18 years old. Chances are it's had at least one new clutch in it and is going to be soon due for another - might as well kill to birsds with one stone.

So on that subject, can anyone recommends a brand of clutch replacement or ANYTHING which is a known good replacement (which of course is quiet)? Is such a thing possible?

Many thanks!
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

STM 48 teeth basket/all plates added with nice pressure plate(surely red one!!!) with open carbon fibre cover... :thumbup: Sorry, i read again Your mail: My combination is NOT QUIET.... Thats why i LOVE it !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Check out this site for clutch parts.

http://www.desmotimes.com/clutch_products.htm

The excess noise is caused by the wear of the basket AND clutch plates.
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

The 906 clutch is dry so it will rattle. Get a set of 851 plates cause the 906 plates now have fibre friction material and I dont think they will last as long.
TDIT

Post by TDIT »

Thanks for all the replies.

I should again clarify that the noise is when the clutch in disengaged (ie: lever pulled in), not when it's sitting on idle (that 'rattle' is expected.)

I had a quiet day and went to the machinic's to help out. Once there I had a happy surprise as I found the clutch wear is next to nothing and the plates are all in good (non-warped) conditioned. So no need for the upgrade - yet.

What I did find though was the main clutch bearing was dry and had a little movement (the smallest amount) in it. I dare say this was the cause of the problem overall. It's been replaced and the clutch assembly has been reassembled. The heads have been sent away for valve re-seating as they had worn unevenly for (???) reason. I go oversized later, for now I just want to enjoy it as is - and not be embarrassed when I come to a stop at the lights with the clutch in. Fingers crossed!

I'll post final reply when it's back on the road and (hopefully) in a much quieter state.

Cheers!
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

Sorry I haven't been on the site for a while. The problem of he clutch noise is easily fixed with a smear of grease on the face of the mushroom shaped actuator under the clutch cover. Simply take off the clutch cover and you will see the part that operates the clutch. It has happened to me last year a long way from home so I just got a drop of engine oil from off the filler plug. That was good enough to get me home and use proper grease. Fixed before my coffee was ready from the cafe!

Paso dry clutches are great. Don't know which idiot in the factory decided to change them in the ST2 and ST3.

I just had my valve guides replaced recently. Two of the valve guides were different metal to the others.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
TDIT

Post by TDIT »

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion, will pass it on the mechanics and make it so. Still haven't got the heads back - seems the engineer had a backlog of work :/
Luckily I'm fortunate enough to have other Dukes to enjoy so it isn't really an issue.

Thanks again for the post, will apdate when it's back on the road.

Cheers!
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

jomo wrote:
Paso dry clutches are great. Don't know which idiot in the factory decided to change them in the ST2 and ST3.
I think same way! :thumbup: They put also wet clutches to last ST4s modells. Mine 2002 ST4s have still dry :D :D :D Btw, it wasnt any "idiot" in factory, but in "government", need to lower noises to meet new standarts. I think, they didnt want to do that in factory at all... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium