Headlight cover

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Headlight cover

Post by JWilliam »

Regular Paso riders may not realise that they risk bankruptcy each time they ride their Paso, but if the headlight is struck by a stone and is shattered that is exactly what can happen. Fortunately a lens cover can easily be made from 2mm Acrylic Glass, the slight curvature of the headlamp can also be duplicated by heating the 27cm x 12.5cm acrylic sheet but interestingly the acrylic expands with heating. So if using a kitchen gas ring to heat the sheet, the side being heated must be convex and the cool side must be concave. Below is an image of the cover after todays ride when I reached speeds of over 100mph and the cover stayed on just greatl. Acrylic glass is available from your local DIY store.

Last edited by JWilliam on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Headlight cover

Post by persempre907 »

JWilliam wrote:Regular Paso riders may not realise that they risk bankruptcy each time they ride their Paso
I guess all know it.
The last time I dropped the bike (I was quite still), the only concern was about how many damages I made.
The foot pain was secondary...
So, you have had a great idea.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Is it allowed to ride in U.K. "without" mirrors ??? let us know, WHAT you have made!
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

headlights from a Yamaha FZ 750 Genesis usually are not very expensive, at least not used ones.

Those headlight covers can also be bought. Ventura Light guard (model VP029) from New Zealand
I have one just as a collectors item :mrgreen: :roll: I wouldn`t use it as it`s probably not legal here anyway and how it affects the light cone is also unknown

btw Ventura also lists luggage carrier racks for the 906 and 907ie

http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?modelid=117

G.

JWilliam

Post by JWilliam »

paso750 wrote:headlights from a Yamaha FZ 750 Genesis usually are not very expensive, at least not used ones.

Those headlight covers can also be bought. Ventura Light guard (model VP029) from New Zealand
I have one just as a collectors item :mrgreen: :roll: I wouldn`t use it as it`s probably not legal here anyway and how it affects the light cone is also unknown

btw Ventura also lists luggage carrier racks for the 906 and 907ie

http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?modelid=117

G.
Well stone me so they do! I did have a trawl for lens covers but gave up. The Acrylic glass is optically perfect, surprisingly so actually and cost only £15 when a lens cover for an FZ750 is £27 plus P+P. Whats more I can make 18 more lens covers from the sheet of Acrylic so I was thinking of doing this and giving them away to UK Paso owners as a freebie - as soon as someone can tell me the correct tool for cutting Acrylic glass that is... as for the luggage, I think I will give that a rain check.

The machine does have mirrors, I made these as an ode to a bunch of German Laverda Jota riders who, when ordered to install mirrors to their machine because of TUV approval - placed Dental mirrors onto the fairing. Very funny I thought.

englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

J score in one clean deep cut across the acrylic sheet with a sharp new stanley blade using a straight edge then snap the sheets apart on the side of a table or decent flat surface it may help to clamp the larger sheet down with a straight edge/wood block to give it a bit of tension.. It is much the same as for snapping stone/ceramic tiles. Use a blade to clean the finished edge. You will need a new blade for each cut and if it snaps or shatters across the plane then you are not scoring it deep enough.

You could always use it for Green house glass or make a nice little cloche for your winter 5 a day mate.

Handy tip did you get the glass from Wicks?
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
JWilliam

Post by JWilliam »

I did try the Stanley method but wasn't able to cut into the Acrylic to a great enough depth and ended up with about 20 pieces first attempt. Obviously there is only so much pressure to be exerted with a blade so next I used a hacksaw and slowly cut the shape. That worked first time but a little long-winded I thought. The Acrylic was purchased from Wickes and I don't have a greenhouse, just a large sheet of Acrylic that will gather dust until I accidently smash it - which is why I think I will make some more of these as a ducatipaso.org freebie.
zedder
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990

Post by zedder »

JW what you need is a router, a template and a trim cutter (as used to finish worktops)
Make sure you keep the cutter/router moving smoothly but at a reasonable pace so as not to "burn" the acrylic :-)

Z 8)

I have such a tool if you wish to borrow it, dont know where you are but I'm in Nth Yorks.
If you're near or just fancy a ride over you're welcome.
PM or email me, I'd bring it over to you but both Pasos are off at the mo :-(
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

A router is the way to go but it will take practice to get the speed of the bit right and the feed speed for the cut,ditto with a band saw. ............also once you have the shape,you can flame the edge to get a nice finish with Mapp gas or propane,keep the flame moving and don't let it bubble. Just heat it till you see the color change then let it cool,better to go back once it cools then ruin it with too much heat. Takes some practice but the finish is worth the effort. Too much heat and you will need lots of elbow grease to sand out the bubbles to try again.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Jaffa
year: 1991

Post by Jaffa »

Ventura accessories are readily accessable here in Oz, I have used various equipment of their's over many years and many bikes, including Dukes.

I would certainly recommend them, always fits first time, instructions are good, gear is tailored to the bike model. There is not light distortion that I could notice with the headlight protector fitted. I wouldnt bother trying to make one, given the time it may take to do it, getting the dimentions right etc. Their protector comes in the right measurements with velcro fasteners, curved to the shape of your bike and with what appears to be a bubble of ...silicon on the light side incase of impact, which absorbs that plus keeps the protector contating the light directly.

What more can I say. I dont have a vested interest in the company, just recommend their products.

:P :P
Jaffa
'91 907ie (RED)
'78 900 Darmah (RED) (now BLACK and lookin' goooooood)
'82 900 Mike Hailwood Replica
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

They start to appear on ebay, too
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ducati-Paso-AMHP-he ... 286.c0.m14
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero