electronic ignition question

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
fester

electronic ignition question

Post by fester »

Guys I just need to clarify the workings of the digiplex ignition a bit more. This is for my 89SS.

I want, for various reasons, to use a late model injected tacho on my 900 SS. I am looking at designing a wiring circuit to correctly trigger the late tacho as they normally get a trigger from the ECU.

I have ascertained from one source that the late tacho requires a 12 volt signal so that makes it a little simpler but the late bikes generate 2 signals per 360 degree crank rotation.

I am assuming the early bikes with the digiplex only get one trigger signal per rotation, can someone confirm. I am expecting I need to get a wiring circuit that multiplies the signal but I need to know if I am multiplying 1 x 4 or 2 x 2.

If anyone's got any clues on a circuit too that wouldbe handy.
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

1 per rev.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
dave906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by dave906 »

Fester
The Digiplex setup on my '90 906 Paso has a single reluctor pickup. There are four points on the flywheel where the pickup generates a pulse for the ignition box. Starting at TDC for the horizontal cylinder there are actually two ridges on the flywheel (so a double pulse is generated), the first is at 0/360 degrees, the second about 5 degrees further round. There are three more single ridges at 90, 180, 270 around the rest of flywheel.
The double pulse at H-TDC is so the ignition has a reference. By design, it also knows that V-TDC is 270 degrees after H-TDC. It does not know if the engine is on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke so it generates a spark on both strokes for both cylinders.
So the answer is you will have five pulses per revolution if your ignition setup is the same.

cheers
Dave
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

I am absolutely no expert on 906 ign system, But;

there are actually two ridges on the flywheel (so a double pulse is generated), the first is at 0/360 degrees, the second about 5 degrees further round.
Any chance you`ve mixed up ign pulse & ign pionts f idle & full advance?
At idle, ign at 5 degrees point gives signal & after about 3k RPM, it`s the full advance point ( 35 degrees) that gives signal.

Anyway, five ign signals/impulses seem strange...
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
dave906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by dave906 »

No I don't believe so Gert.
The second ridge is as close to the TDC ridge as it can reasonably be within the geometry of the flywheel and pickup.
I believe the ignition uses this double pulse as a reference for TDC-H, from where it can compute the rpm, advance and TDC-V updating each rev.
I have looked at the ignition reluctor pulse train on an oscilloscope and the relationship of the pulses does not change with rpm in degrees.

There is a double pickup ignition which was used on silimar age 900SS', and I believe this can be transplanted to the 906 by replacing the flywheel and the reluctor pickup mounting plate. This places two pickups in the flywheel housing spaced by 90 degrees - one for TDC-Vert, one for -TDC-Horiz. However there are also two ignition boxes, one for each cyl and they function independently. Again they fire a spark on both the compression and exhaust strokes as they can not know which is which.

Dave
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

I don`t have enough knowledge about this to argue so hopefully you are right. :thumbup:
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07