Timing Belt Install Question.

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Desmo_Demon wrote: Hmmmm...didn't think of that, and you are correct. I may have to change my belts, again. :ugh:
You have mixed the round and square??? No, no , no. Say it isn't so...
kirk332

Post by kirk332 »

The belt that I removed from my Paso had the round teeth, but the newer belt (same as the Monster 750 and SuperSport 750) had the square teeth, so don't be too surprised if the new belts have square teeth.
The bike shop confirmed that I should have had the round teeth belt supplied, not the square. Fingers crossed.
I have heard of some people removing the washer that forms that lip with regular pliers or Channel-lock pliers, but I cannot confirm this, plus yours look like they are held into place by the cam nut. My Paso didn't have those washers on them, so it was fairly easy to slip them over the pullies.
I have now removed mine. Quite easy, I used a punch to knock the front one off and a pair of pliers for the rear cylinder one. As a result the teeth on the edge of the gears are quite sharp so I will have to gently smooth them off.
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

jcslocum wrote:You have mixed the round and square??? No, no , no. Say it isn't so...
Unfortunately....yes. :ugh: :oops:

I've only put 8 miles on the bike since installing them, so it looks like I need to replace them (again) before I get too carried away with it.

Edit - It appears I am remembering incorrectly. I guess I've just worked on far too many bikes over the last few months and can't keep anything straight in my head. Lookingt at the pictures that I posted on my website, it is obvious that both belts were square-toothed....

Old belt....

New belt...

2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

some info is confusing here.

kirk332 wrote:
The original belts I removed had half round teeth

Desmo_Demon wrote:
The belt that I removed from my Paso had the round teeth, but the newer belt (same as the Monster 750 and SuperSport 750) had the square teeth

I checked on my own bike now and I have round teeth belts and pulleys. These should be the same on Monster/Supersport I suppose. My original ones before where square teeth.
So I can only guess that someone had put wrong belts on kirk332`s bike.

G.
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Desmo_Demon »

paso750 wrote:Desmo_Demon wrote:
The belt that I removed from my Paso had the round teeth, but the newer belt (same as the Monster 750 and SuperSport 750) had the square teeth
There's no telling what *should* be on my bike with what the previous owner has done to it. I'm tempted on pulling the horizontal cover to check the shape of the teeth on the pullies.......I can definitely picture a belt that has round ("U"-shaped) teeth in my head, but I have no idea if it was from my ST2, 748, a 998, my ST4 engine, or even my wife's Jetta. I've had in my hands at least seven different timing belts in the last 12-months. I'm going to have to start double-checking things before I post. :screwy:
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

yours look like they are held into place by the cam nut.
On my 907, and surely also 906, the the washer is a simple press fit. Quite easy removed.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

It's not hard to get the belts off or on with the 'washers' in place.

To get them off, first loosen the tensioner wheel, then slip the belt over the tensioner wheel so it's sitting loose around the outside of all three wheels - the two gear wheels and the tensioner wheel. It should then slip off quite easily.

Do not use any hard tool to pry the belt off, or you could damage the gears or 'washers'.

To get the belt on, reverse the process - starting with the tensioner wheel loose, first slip the belt over the outside of all three wheels, then slip it over the tensioner wheel to the inside, then tighten the tensioner.
kirk332

Post by kirk332 »

New round teeth belts arrived yesterday and slipped straight on, no problems. Tensioning the belts seems a bit of a hit and miss though, 5mm allen key method used. After I ride the bike for a while I might get the bike shop to check the tension with their fandangle frequency LED tension checker thingy. Apparently belts are set to 110 Hz at change then adjusted to 100 Hz at the next service after that.
Cheers for all the info guys.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

have you checked your pulleys ?! As discussed here the Paso originally should have square teeth belts, not round teeth.

G.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Skins wrote::cool:

It's not hard to get the belts off or on with the 'washers' in place.

To get them off, first loosen the tensioner wheel, then slip the belt over the tensioner wheel so it's sitting loose around the outside of all three wheels - the two gear wheels and the tensioner wheel. It should then slip off quite easily.
Skins!! Where have you been hiding?
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

I'm just real busy with my work these days, Jon. But I try to read everything new on the site.

Thanks for that stuff yesterday about electricity - I think I understand it a bit better now. :thumbup:
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Glad to hear your busy but all work and no Paso makes Skins (and the list) dull!

Yeah, the smoke thing is great and very creative. I've been thru a few Brit cars and have had a few Prince of Darkness experiences...
kirk332

Post by kirk332 »

have you checked your pulleys ?! As discussed here the Paso originally should have square teeth belts, not round teeth.
Yes I did check that they are round teeth. Don't know why there is a discrepancy between models.
Cheers