Speedo Cable Drive removal?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
kirk332

Speedo Cable Drive removal?

Post by kirk332 »

After undoing the retaining nut on the wheel end, should the inner cable just lift out or is their a trick to it? Mine doesn't want to part and I don't want to force it for fear of breaking it. I also noted a spring loaded ball bearing at the bottom. Is this for lubricating purposes? Finally, what do you lubricate the inner cable with please?
Cheers
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

I believe it should just pull out of the speedometer gear housing. I'm not sure with the Paso, but I know the later bikes have an o-ring around the end of the cable, which keeps water out but also helps hold the cable in place when trying to remove it. If the threaded collar is loose from the housing, I would think that it should pull straight out, but I'm not near my bike to double-check. Yours may have some rust on the cable and worm gear that is holding the two pieces together.

I recently took most of the speedometer gear drive apart on my ST2 after trashing a wheel bearing. The ring gear just pulled out of the housing and there was thin washer behind it. The worm gear was held into place with a roll pin, so I left that gear in the housing. I used a brake cleaner to flush the housing out, then dried it with compressed air. I packed a bunch of high-temp wheel bearing grease into the housing, reinstalled the ring gear with washer, and put some more grease into the unit after this.

I don't know the purpose of the spring-loaded ball bearing, but I would think it has to do something with holding the worm gear in place (is it located on the bottom of the drive unit, directly below the worm gear?). I'd have to look at the one on my Paso to figure it out.

The Paso may have a slightly different drive unit, so I may be wasting my time typing this. I couldn't find any exploded views of the Paso's drive unit, so without looking at my bike, I can't be too sure if there were any changes in the design from '87 until '98. There may also be other procedures for cleaning and a different lubricant for the drive unit, but I thought I'd share what I've done in the past. I hope this helps.
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)