Stand Assembely...Does this look right?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Stand Assembely...Does this look right?

Post by Desmo_Demon »

The one on my '87 Paso 750 does not have the suicide-stand function. I don't know if this is original or not, but it looks like it simply has a longer spring and has that metal plate removed.....

2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Desmo_Demon wrote:The one on my '87 Paso 750 does not have the suicide-stand function. I don't know if this is original or not, but it looks like it simply has a longer spring and has that metal plate removed.....
It isn't original, but it seems really simple and effective.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Here's a link to the Ferracci item:

http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php? ... tail&p=405
kirk332

Post by kirk332 »

Numerous options available for me, cheers. :D
kirk332

Post by kirk332 »

Pressure: Between 10-11 (forgotten what it`s measured in...).
Most likely measured in BAR. This equates to 145 psi - 159.5 Psi.

My local Ducati bike shop tells me that for 900 engines it should usually be around 150 Psi +/- 10% (which equates to 135 Psi - 165 Psi) and that there is no factory specs for dynamic engine compression?
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

kirk332 wrote:
(no way to test it, but make the engine run in bad conditions and watch the spark plugs :thumbdown: )
Do you suggest riding the bike and then when she starts playing up, pull the clutch - switch off the motor - roll to a stop - and pull the plugs and check?
Question, do you switch the motor off with the kill switch or using the ignition key to turn off. I have read something some where that suggests using the key to turn off is better than the kill switch// WHY??
some bike has kill switch in ground shortcut and this can damage the ignition boxes. Paso's kill switch just breaks positive wire to coils. this may reduce the amount of voltage to coils (see 750 paso F.A.Q) but it's safe for ignitio boxes :wink:
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
dave906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by dave906 »

the ballast resistors used in some cars (integrated with the coil or external) are there because the ignition system is designed to work satisfactorily when there is less than 12 volts available to it. This happens when the car is being started and the high current draw from the starter motor reduces the terminal voltage at the coil (maybe to 8-9 volts). When the engine is running the terminal voltage is back up to at least 12 (more like 13.6-14.4 as the alternator is generating power). The resistor in the primary coil circuit drops several volts across it so the coil only sees it nominal design voltage of say 9V. In this type of ignition system, if the resistor is bypassed when the engine is running the coil may burn out as the higher voltage will force too much current through the coil.
This was mainly used in older cars with points ignitions. Newer vehicles with electronic ignitions typically don't use ballast resistors with coils.
kirk332

Post by kirk332 »

Thanks for that dave906. :wink: I thought it went something like that but couldn't quite remember as it was a while ago when I last tinkered with older cars like these. I'm guessing the PASO's don't have these resistors in the circuit and so the modified power supply mod for the coils could only be a good thing yer?
Cheers
dave906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by dave906 »

Hi Kirk
Yes the power supply mod on this site means that the coils get a more direct supply from the battery, but also that they are not hanging off about 200m of wiring in the loom suffering excessive voltage drop from the current draw due to other loads and dodgy connections thru the ignition switch, kill switch and extra connectors.
Dave
kirk332

Post by kirk332 »

Hey Dave,
Thanks for that. Have you done the mod yourself and if so was there any noticeable improvement gained? I should imagine if you had any dodgy wiring there, then it would have to improve things a lot. A fairly easy mod though which would alleviate the possibility of that side of things causing a problem I guess.
Cheers
Kirk