Rear shock

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
ducatipete
model: 906 Paso
year: 1991

Rear shock

Post by ducatipete »

How does the rear shock operate, is it oil and nitrogen? may have depressurised it when fitting my new RR51 regulator as pipe fitting was hitting the new reg/ref body, so I moved the banjo!!! will my Ducati dealer be able to help? :wacko:
gasfireman
year: 1989

Re: Rear shock

Post by gasfireman »

The shock is a gas / air unit. The remote reservoir contains air under pressure 6 bar and provides the compression damping. This is seperate from the oil totally unlike the more usual emulsion type shocks. When I overhauled mine I just filled it completely with a 5 grade fork oil and the piston movement in the air resorvoir provides compression damping which can be adjusted.

The spring gives you preload.

The adjuster on the bottom of the shock is an oil damping resorvoir and provides rebound damping. The damping rate is controlled by dished washers allowing oil past them. By adjusting the free play between the washers (on the damping worm) and oil viscosity varies the damping rate.

So dont worry about the banjo being oved, theres no pressure when the weight is off the shock.

Heres some pics I took.

All in bits

Part assembled, I bought the Ducati overhaul kit to do this. It includes all the seals, the threaded seal / bearing assembly and the bump stop.

The dished washers that provide rebound damping

Rebound washers assembled, note reverse dishing. Also the slider bearing that comes in the kit.

The rebound damping adjuster worm

part reassembled

The spring assembly

ducatipete
year: 1991

Re: Rear shock

Post by ducatipete »

Thanks, I pressurised it using an electric car compressor, is ok now...