Help! wiring radiator, fan, and termostatic switch

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
snake

Help! wiring radiator, fan, and termostatic switch

Post by snake »

I have a 1990 Paso 906. The bike has no wires run on the cooling system currently. Need a picture sent to me for routing please. I have the wiring diagram but it is not sufficient. Where do the two wires go from the radiator itself? Where do the wires go from the termostatic switch? Where do the two wires go from the instrument panel? Where do the wires go from the fan? If any one can send me some pictures of a 906 or help me in anyway it would be much appreciated. The owners manual tells of routing but I'm not sure what the components physically look like. How can I test to see if the cooling system is operational? Thanks for helping.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Help! wiring radiator, fan, and termostatic switch

Post by paso750 »

http://www.box.net/public/vzii95dqes

did you check this wiring plan ?
The (pink) cable that passes the thermostatic switch comes from the fuse box and goes to the fan. Not sure what you mean by wires from radiator and which colour do the wires of the instrument panel have that you refer to ?

Regarding testing, when you short the thermostatic switch the fan should come on.
When you measure resistance of the switch (wires disconnected) I suppose you should measure nothing. If you remove it and hang it in almost boiling water you should measure a short. Maybe you can also heat it up with a lighter but then you cannot tell at all at what temperatur it switches.

G.
snake

Post by snake »

The radiator has a switch that is attached to the bottom left side, it has two flag terminals for wires to plug into it. I was looking for a brown/black wire but didn't find it yet in the harness... I'll get back to it...and post the colors of the wires I have in question..coming fron the instrument panel. Thanks for the info
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

the brown black wire should be found at one of the 2 instrument cluster connections.
That wire goes to the water temp sensor.
The radiator has a switch that is attached to the bottom left side
strange this picture doesn`t show that. (it`s taken from the workshop manual)
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Btw, seems, that 906 have quite different routed lines, as 907 have... :smoke:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

not really, it`s the same but they changed 2 tubes to one and changed the position of the switches
907i.e.
snake

Post by snake »

What color are the wires coming off of the switch on the lower left side of the radiator? Where do they go to from there? Thanks again for your help.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

anyone with a 906 who can answer this ? According to the pic above there`s nothing directly on the radiator.
If there is a switch it could be either the temp switch for the fan or the sensor for the temp gauge. I couldn`t think of anything else.
Do you have the sensors 3 and 5 as on the first pic above ? If you find only one, the second one is probably the one you have in your radiator.
snake

Post by snake »

Yes I have #3 and #5 on the diagram. Temp sensor and switch. The sensor in question is screwed directly on the lower left of the radiator itself. ANYONE HAVE A 906 PASO ?? Please help, WHAT COLORS are the wires that come off of that switch ( or did someone put a diffrent radiator on this bike before I bought it ?! ) :banghead:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

It can be, that radiator have changed to Your bike later. I think, that Ducati used same radiator in 906 and 907 and in my 907 sensors are just in that tube, where they are in that pic. Sorry, cánt help more... :dunno:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
dave906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by dave906 »

I have a 1990 906.
There are two pink heavy gauge wires (bullet connectors) from switch 5 (the radiator fan temp switch), and one light gauge Brown/Black wire (spade connector) from switch 3 (the water temp sensor). The body of switch 3 goes to earth via the engine.

There are no other switches direct from the radiator. My radiator is original.

Dave
snake

Post by snake »

Thanks Dave,for clearing up the cooling system issue. :beer: I'll just have to order a few more parts now and she should be back on the road. Starter solinoid , instrument panel , and fork seals.
dave906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by dave906 »

No worries Snake. Correction to the pink wire connections - they are spade connectors as well, not bullet...a brighter torch did the trick.

Dave