Tyre options

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
duckman906

Tyre options

Post by duckman906 »

Hi Guys
Obviously there has been alot of discussions recently regarding supply issues with the oem Michelins, I know guys have already tried fitting alternative front tyres and this is not new, but -
Two days ago I took the plunge and had a 130/70/16 Pirelli Diablo fitted (obviously prior I had to raise slightly the height of the mudguard), what a transformation. I now have neutral handling and none of the vagueness of the old A59X and heaps more grip.
Previously I had tried an Avon azaro ST, this was definitely a backwards step, but I can vouch for the Pirelli - it appears to have a significanly different profile from the Avon, the tyre radius appears more consistant, ie the Avon appeared to have more of a peak which didn't suit the Paso. The Pirelli profile to my eye appears to better match the original fitment rear.

Just wish I could easily raise the rear ride height to counter the slightly higher profile of the new front tyre, even so, to have a modern front tyre as an option in my opinion out weighs this issue.

Lets not forget that the original fitment tyre is now over 20 years old, with the modern tyres (as manufactured for the early fireblades), we have softer compounds available as well as more efficient water dispersion patterns.

Unfortunately we don't appear to have many options yet with the rears - i'm not brave enough to try one of the cruiser tyres with there 80 profile.

Regards
Justin
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: Tyre options

Post by jomo »

I couldn't agree more about the Pirelli, I've been saying it in posts for years, but I think the Bridgestone is even slightly better.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
Debonair

Post by Debonair »

Which model of Bridgestones are you talking about? I'm interested in buying a new set of tires for my 750!
jomo

Post by jomo »

I am currently using the Battlax BT-014. Although in the past they were called different names I think. They change their names more than I change my underwear! I am sure they don't change the tyre...only the advertising.

This appears to be their best radial in that size, if you look at their web site.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Suzuki RMX250
Debonair

Post by Debonair »

Thanks for the info!
enzo906

Post by enzo906 »

When mine was new it had pirelli's on it but that was 17years ago and I forget what they were. I do know they lost pressure that's why I switched to Michelin. The grip seems the same as does the steering but I got more mileage from michelin. I need new tyres in Australia but no one seems to know where to get some. All I get is go online there should be someone who has some?
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Hey Enzo, You should be able to get the Michelins from any bike shop. I get mine from my local Yamaha dealer (Fineline @ Taree) they have not had any trouble getting them & when I discussed the discontinuation of these tyres with them they showed me that they were listed in the catalogue & ordered me a rear which arrived 24 hours later (that was late 07) I emailed Wayne Gardner Imports as they are the Distributor asking about supply & current stocks in Oz, They did not reply.
When my Paso returns to the roads in the next few months I reckon it will have the Battlax front that Jomo has championed for some time in these pages.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

if you buy "new" Michelins, let us know the DOT number.
I wonder if that is just old stock.

G.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

seems last patch was made 2004.
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
jomo

Post by jomo »

I think the stopped for a little while in 2005 and then started again soon after. It is probably just an economical way to produce the tyres. Do a big batch every few years.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Suzuki RMX250