Tacho stopped & its not the cable

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Tacho stopped & its not the cable

Post by redpaso »

Hey guys, my Tacho has stopped, I checked the cable & it is fine, I have 80000Km on the Paso@ present. I certianly miss seeing how many revs the donk is spinning at. I also find that without it I am occassionally reaching for 7th gear!

Any one have a similiar experience or any idea as to what it is & how to fix it?

Just by co-incidence(?) the nuetral light his also stopped working could they be related? any ideas?
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

Sorry if this is a silly question, cuz, but how do you know it's not the cable?
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Well when I say "I" checked the cable, it was actually my brother that had a quick look at it when it initially stopped. He checked it & fiddled a bit & it worked again for about 5km. I am not the most mechanically minded person in the world especially when it gets down to the fiddly little stuff like this. Do you think that i should replace the cable & see how it goes or is there a history of Tacho failure in Paso's related to anything other than the cable? Any suggestions or areas to check would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Well, I reckon if the tacho worked, even if it was only for a few km, after your bro fiddled with it, then it sounds like the problem IS something to do with the cable.
You need to take off the screen part of the fairing to have a good look at things. Be VERY careful and slow and gentle when you lift off the screen, because it's very easy to snag the instrument case and break it's mountings. You should be able to work from the back of the instrument case. Preferably DO NOT remove the instrument case top because it's very easy to break the tabs holding it in place.
From what we know so far, I would suspect a slipping drive connection at one or other end of the cable.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Thanks Skins, :thumbup: I will check it out over the weekend & let you know how it goes. There is no way i would be going into the instruments from the front, I had a bad experience with a VT250 Honda about 15 years ago & had to replace the whole instrument cluster. I learned my lesson & my limits. I don't go near anything without the workshop manual in hand, that is not always a great help with the 906 Paso manual though, (it is the factory one in 7 languages & all of them are beyond my level of expertise!) :eek:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

OK mate, good luck!

One needs a tacho on a Ducati - they can be so smooth, it can be hard to know where you are otherwise.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Still have not been able to get the time to look at it yet, had to spend the weekend working on Sons car, Why is nothing easy :mad:

At least working on a Paso is a labour of love :D

Maybe next weekend :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Lols Red - labour of love.............sometimes it ain't!!! BTW - sounds like I'm not the only one that looks for 7th sometimes......... :roll: :roll: powerpoles tend to be moving fast then though.........
(Must keep reminding myself not to 'chuck the rulebook over the shoulder' while riding bike.........) Specially with all the 'anti-fun police' about..... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :neener: :neener:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

that is why I ride the backroads. the Police in their flash SS Commodores don't like them much so you can let loose a little more without all the worry of red & blue flashing in the mirrors that you can't see behind you with anyway so it would only make them madder because they think you are trying to get away! :eek:
Redpaso
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

And the Paso mirrors are sooooo great for checking out what is actually beind ya - specially with a pillion........ :roll: :roll: - I work on the theory it's not whats behind ya thats important - its whats ahead that matters..........
3 yrs ago - beautifull morning - on way to work - no traffic around - pinged for 113 km in 100 area - (only redeeming feature was that we did'nt cross paths 30 seconds earlier........... :neener: :roll: :thumbup: )
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

It is always good to feel that even if they got you they could have got you for more. You still feel the sence of Victory :evil:
Redpaso
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Yeah - in a round a bout way - its a loss, but also a win.... :roll: :D :thumbup:
jomo

Post by jomo »

Must admit, beeing booked around 12 or more times for speeding, it could have been worse. Not enough paper in the world to write the true story!

Regarding mirrors, I fashioned ( don't think it really looks fashionable) a mirror that screws into the front brake assembley on the right handlebar, to come out under the fairing. Rubber mounted it, and works reasonably well. Not they best fashion accessory, but you can spend a very long time being dead!

By the way, there is the same mounting point in the clutch assembly for the left hand drive countries.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Jomo, I noticed that mirror in your Gallery pics. It is a good idea. :thumbup: I plan on putting one of those ones on the end of the handle bar next time i do some seroius 2 up touring.I would not leave it htere though. Otherwise I am pretty happy with a good view of my Lady's thighs (but keep my mind on riding of course) & a glance over my shoulder :D
Redpaso