front sprocket

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
wup
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

front sprocket

Post by wup »

Just took the 906 into the shop for new rear tire and mechanic said that chain/sprockets were worn. I checked them out for myself and agree. I might get one more summer out of them but do need to replace. The rear wheel is suzuki, should be easy sprocket to get but what about the front/drive sprocket? Is that a paso specific? or does it fit a number of ducatis? Same with chain?
Laddie907
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Re: front sprocket

Post by Laddie907 »

the Pasos mainly run 520 chain
the 906 and 907 are both 15 teeth / 40 teeth (front rear) standard.
even the "standard" sprockets are not Paso specific - but they are Ducati "specials" with the fitment method at the front (countershaft). I have the same sprockets on my 907ie and my 900SS.
I'm not aware of this fitting system on other than Cagiva or Ducati..

the rear is nothing special other than the bore of the sprocket being an interference fit with the wheel hub / cush drive unit.
again - it would need to "fit" the Ducati boss if your wheel / hub were standard..

if you have a Suzuki rear wheel & hub you might find that the chain has been changed to a 530 - just as a guess...and that could make the countershaft sprocket a bit more difficult to obtain.

as a side note, the 520 chain is pretty light on for a 900CC engine - you want to carefully consider the economy of running on a light chain in bad condition another year v's the cost of casings...oh, yeah - the swing arm is made from Fetta cheese, so it will be VERY easily damaged if something comes adrift.

replacement non-genuine sprockets are readily available almost anywhere..

if the sprockets are bad the chain needs to be replaced too...

given that you have a non-standard set up at the rear I'd also check the alignment of the sprockets - chains don't like misalignment; neither do sprockets.

I have tried a 44 teeth rear but found it was hopelees for highway cruising - you might as well ride in 5th gear...but it did lift the front wheel with no effort if you wanted...
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: front sprocket

Post by JWilliam »

The 906 front sprocket might well be the same as the early 851 then, because my B&C Express catalogue lists the 900ss and 851 sprocket kits under the same product code.