Intro + opinions wanted

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Johnny

Intro + opinions wanted

Post by Johnny »

Hi all,
Just joined the site and thought I'd introduce myself and...... ask a few questions.
I'm from Perth in Western Australia, Carpenter and married with 2 girls 4 & 9.

I have a 79 Suzuki GT250X7 which is good fun but frustratingly temperamental :banghead: I've previously owned a couple of Hinckley Triumphs and learnt to ride on a 250 Virago.

Right now I'm in the market for another bike. I've always loved the look of the 906 Paso and can easily imagine one parked in my garage. I saw one on the road the other day which reminded me how much I like em, sounded awesome too, but, before getting one I'm doing some research, just to be sure.

Firstly, reliability, I've read about the carb issue and some of the other problems here on the forum. I'm ok with learning on going maintenance and I've enjoyed learning the basics but I don't want to repeat the experience of the Suzi whereby the thing never runs that well. If I'm involved I want to be rewarded with a reliable fun bike.

So It'd be great if somebody could give an honest appraisal.

One bike I've come across claims that with work recently done you should get 50 000kms before any major work will be needed, is this realistic?

The other thing that I'm wondering is the riding position, there isn't currently a 906 for sale here in Perth so I'm not able to take one for a ride. I'm just under 6' would that make my leg position more like riding a sports bike? I'm hoping for more of a sport touring riding position.

Any advice, opinions or what it's like to own a 906 would be greatly aprecciated.

Johnny
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Intro + opinions wanted

Post by paso750 »

Hi Johnny,

what do you consider as major work ?
I do have my Paso 750 for about 10 years while I can`t count the past 3 as it was sitting in the garage being totally rebuilt.
The Paso is a 20 year old bike so sooner or later some defect will appear. Next to the Weber blues there`re broken down regulators, failing starter motors (worn brushes), failing clock, rusted tank (sometimes, when stored dry for a long period) or the issue getting tires. Of course also parts availability is meanwhile a little worse. Original mirrors, taillight, instrument cluster cover and some other parts can not be found anymore at Ducati, but there`s ebay, breakers and us.
In total I would say the Paso is a very solid bike. There are some around with over 90.000km on them. When I got mine I decided to put Mikunis on the bike and an aftermarket regulator and from then on it was very reliable. I definetely never regretted buying it and would do it again.
The Paso is a sports tourer so you don`t sit on it like on a real sports bike. Then there`s also the possibility to have some spacers made to lift the steering halves a bit (P750 download thread for the files. There you can also find a "used bike guide" on the 750 if you check under "english magazines").
It`s very important to see the overall condition of the bike, to know if it was well maintained as well as on regular basis.
There are definetely some lemons on the market from pre owners who either didn`t care or didn`t know what they were doing when working on the bike.
Terry`s project is a good example: http://www.desmodemon.com/vicks_paso.html
If the bike is clean, history is known or you can ask the owner about it I wouldn`t see any problem.

Gerhard
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Hi Gerhard

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that maintained and cared for bikes can be reliable.

In regard to major work I guess anything that requires replacing parts in the engine (just read the woes when a belts not fitted correctly) gearbox etc, I could pull a bike apart, clean, detail it and put it back together but the engine is another thing altogether. Electrics are another weak area for me.

Theres a couple of bikes for sale on the east coast of OZ, one of them the clock doesn't work, this isn't an issue for me, don't wear a watch anyway, but just out of interest how much would one cost?

Also wondering if any locals can help re the bikes that are currently for sale.

Cheers
andrew_b
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by andrew_b »

Hi Johnny,

I was looking at that blue one in NSW and thinking jeez that looks like Jomo's (a forum member on here) bike. But now I'm not so sure. Anyway I'd be looking for a an immaculate bike for that price..to be fair it does look real nice in the photos. Of course if you are coming to the US anytime you'd do a lot better buying here and then importing. A nice 906 will run to around 4K US, shipping and duty around 1500 and with the Aussie $ as strong as it is right now I've even been thinking about sending a few back there!! Of course a 907 will run you a couple of Gs more and you'd get a much more reliable machine as you are probably figuring out.

The 50,000 km remark is probably a reference to major service items: belt, forks, chain and sprockets etc. I note that the bike in Melbourne has also just had a major service so new belts etc...

Your question about riding position...I'm 6'1" and just fit on my 907 with a corbin seat. It's hard because I don't have a 906 to compare anymore but I think I was a little more comfy on it...but then maybe I'm just getting older and tighter in the bendy bits. Anyway you should be right. If I were you I'd be factoring a trip east to look and ride before you buy anyway.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Andrew

(A former Melbourne boy at large in the land of the septic tank.)
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Certainly does help, I'm soaking everything up, thanks for the advice Andrew. Could you or anyone give me an idea what I should be looking at paying for a quality 906/907 here in Australia?

Another question, looking at the mirrors, can you see them? Almost looks like my arms would be in the way.

:dunno:

Johnny
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Almost looks like my arms would be in the way.
no you will have a perfect view at your knees.
The mirror glass has a ball joint behind so you can adjust them a little, but at the end it depends on your sitting position and how tall or large you are :mrgreen: For me when I sit quite upright it`s acceptable.
In the 80s italians were still short and slim.
Somehow reminds me of a 70s magazine test of my old Alfa Romeo were it said you need the legs of Peter Lorre and the arms of Lee Marvin to find a proper sitting position, so short legs and long arms. The Paso is not that bad but I guess it would help :lol:

G.
andrew_b

Post by andrew_b »

Johnny wrote: Could you or anyone give me an idea what I should be looking at paying for a quality 906/907 here in Australia?
Johnny
Mate it really comes down to what the owners are willing to part with them for...and how desperate you are to own one. Also the fair price depends so much on the individual bike. But look at it this way...a mid 90's Honda VFR is a comparable bike in many ways. Arguably better performance, reliability and far more easily maintained (but so little character). Still a good one of them will still run to 6K in Oz. So I'd be expecting to pay about the same for a 906 in good shape. Add a couple of Gs for a comparable 907. Then other things to consider are that the 906 is not really all that common down under so they are more collectible than in the rest of the world..so expect to pay a premium for a really nice one. By the way I can't recall seeing 4 for sale in Oz at any other time in the last few years so you're spoiled for choice right now.

A couple of years ago there was a 907 advertised for sale at a bike shop in Frankston. It belonged to one of the sales guys and he advertised it for ages and ages at $9500. It had about 20,000 Ks I think but it was immaculate except for needing tires. For all I know it could still be there.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

paso750 wrote:
Almost looks like my arms would be in the way.
In the 80s italians were still short and slim.

G.
Italian engineers thought that you'd better be slim to go faster!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

andrew_b wrote:
Johnny wrote: Could you or anyone give me an idea what I should be looking at paying for a quality 906/907 here in Australia?
Johnny

A couple of years ago there was a 907 advertised for sale at a bike shop in Frankston. It belonged to one of the sales guys and he advertised it for ages and ages at $9500. It had about 20,000 Ks I think but it was immaculate except for needing tires. For all I know it could still be there.
Andrew, would you remember which one or maybe the road it was on, might as well check it out, ya never know ;)
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Thanks G, you got me excited with that last link being a bike in Perth, but its Perth Tasmania.

I rang 1 company today for a shipping quote, Brisbane/Sydney or Melbourne to Perth, $1000.00 :shock: far out, how big is a bike? Factor in flights to and from as Andrew suggested and it starts becoming expensive. I need to shop around more freight companies me thinks, or try and be patient for 1 to pop up in Perth.

I previously found a link on the forum here to a silver Paso that was for sale here in Perth, I sent a text message and didn't get a reply, I'd like to try again but can't find where that link was, would it have been removed or is it hidden somewhere in another thread? If somebody knows where it was I'd appreciate it if you could point me there.

Cheers

Johnny
andrew_b

Post by andrew_b »

G'day again Johnny,

I'm pretty sure the 907 was at either Freestyle Honda or Byrners Suzuki - they are bike shops right next door to each other on Wells Rd Seaford (Frankston area). You should be able to get phone numbers and ask about the 907...like I said it belonged to one of the sales guys who had it listed privately but kept it on "display" behind his desk.

As far as getting a bike out to the wild West in Oz maybe you could check out the rate to throw it on the train...it used to be a good deal.

Cheers
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Cheers Andrew, I've sent an email so we'll see what comes of it.
Fraser
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Johnny,

With a shipping cost of $1000.00 from Brisbane/Sydney it may be worth while looking at shipping something from NZ, the exchange rate would be in your favour. Here are a couple of links to Paso's currently listed on TradeMe; the blue 906 looks a beauty.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 921789.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 333605.htm

Pasos appear fairly regularly so it is worth checking the site.

Fraser.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Thanks for the links Fraser, I'll keep my eye on that site, thinking I might go for a 907 and yeah I've checked the exchange rate and it is favourable :wink:

Other than the fuel injection are there other advantages of going for the 907 over the 906?

Cheers

Johnny