Intro + opinions wanted

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Johnny

Re: Intro + opinions wanted

Post by Johnny »

Great site this, thanks to everyone for the input :thumbup:

I managed to get in contact with the guy andrew_b mentions in that previous post who was a salesperson at a bike shop, the 907 hadn't sold and is still in his posession. He hadn't been thinking about selling but would if somebody was prepared to offer a substantial amount, he asked what I was willing to pay, when I told him, he said he'd rather have a Duke in the garage than that amount of $$$$ in his pocket 8) We had a great conversation about 907 ownership and he's offered to check out any bikes that come up for sale in the Melbourne area. How good is that. I haven't been involved with other bike riders for about 10 years but I'm reminded how friendly and how well people with bikes get on. Loving it.

I'm thinking I should target the 907, and then, being a bit of a collector, can see myself adding a 750 or 906 later on. I haven't told my wife that. :P
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

You should NEVER tell BEFORE buying bike to Your wife!!!! Its much easier to call wife to see to your garrage, what You have bought AGAIN..... I know this from my life... :mrgreen:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

Finnpaso wrote:You should NEVER tell BEFORE buying bike to Your wife!!!! Its much easier to call wife to see to your garrage, what You have bought AGAIN..... I know this from my life... :mrgreen:
When I bought the Monster for my wife, I didn't tell her about it. I rode my Harley to the Ducati dealer and rode the Monster home. I parked it where I always park the Harley then went in the house to tell her that we had to ride into town to go get my bike. She thought we were going to get the Paso out of the shop. :lol:

When we went to leave, she walked right past the Monster and never even looked at it. I had to tell her to look over there before she saw it. It was funny that she could walk right past a new bike in the driveway and not notice it. I don't know if it was a sign of how bad her day was.....or it was a sign that we have too many motorcycles. :mrgreen:
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
gail
year: 0

Post by gail »

Johnny, just replying on 907 Duck duct, I personally like the look of the 907 duct but it is all personal, that duct on the Brocky had me going for a minute, before reading text I thought someone had filled and moulded a 907 fairing.
I basically chose the 907 over the others due to it being the last of the lineage, and that i felt most issues are well sorted by then. I liked the idea of the fuel injection and tourability plus the fact that it only had 10.000kms and it was $8,000.
It was also fitted with staintunes ,givi topbox and the fuel chip to suit the greater free flow exhaust system. Though my primary reason for buying a Paso was because of the love of Tamburinis design. Got the red one.
I also (as you) , did a lot of research prior to purchasing. I had seen a real good looking black 907 in perth with 18,000 kms, (Love that black look) and I was in the same position as you, re; ability to see bike , transport and logistics (expenses) related to a buy from the opposite ends of the country.
Far as I can see you will end up with what you wan't, take time and you will get the one to suit you needs, If you buy from the East you may as well come over Tassie while your here and give some of our corners a caning,she's agreat place for a Paso, I'll keep a beer in the fridge for ya , as you will be a bit dry from the exhiliration factor. :shock: Best of luck with it....Marty
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

sidenote, the 906 and 907ie front screen and the rubber surround of the instrument cluster are interchangeable aren`t they ?
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

906 and 907 front screens are interchangeable, but the 907 rubber has the same shape of the fairing, with the NACA air conveyor, so if you fit it on the 906 you will have the NACA hole.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

If you buy from the East you may as well come over Tassie while your here and give some of our corners a caning,she's agreat place for a Paso, I'll keep a beer in the fridge for ya , as you will be a bit dry from the exhiliration factor. :shock: Best of luck with it....Marty
Thanks Marty, and certainly don't need to be asked twice re that beer :beer: I'll be getting to Tassie at some stage its one place in Oz I haven't been to, saving the best till last me thinks, might need to be summer though as the pillion might decide not come, hmmmmmmm :lol:

I've advertised in a wanted section of a newspaper so we'll see what turns up locally.
duckboy

Post by duckboy »

Gidday Johnny
I believe there is a Paso (750) for sale here in Adelaide. It is the 'Sambuca Ducati', and is currently in posession of one of the machanics of "The Bike Factory". I'm not sure how much he wants for it, but it is in excellent condition.
Enquire--- The Bike Factory, (08 8231 2301), ask for Phil.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

duckboy wrote:Gidday Johnny
I believe there is a Paso (750) for sale here in Adelaide. It is the 'Sambuca Ducati', and is currently in posession of one of the machanics of "The Bike Factory". I'm not sure how much he wants for it, but it is in excellent condition.
Enquire--- The Bike Factory, (08 8231 2301), ask for Phil.
Thanks for the heads up Duck, I'll find out the details, cheers mate.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Hey Johnny,
I know you said you were leaning toward the 907 but don't discount the others. I have a 906 & reckon she is just great. Any paso that has been looked after will give you a grin that only a Ducati can deliver, they look great, sound great & are great, all of them! If you like to tinker there is more to pull apart on the older models. Well thats my justification for my 906.

Here is one that ended without bid on ebay about 2 weeks ago, it is in Melbourne but looks good & should not be too expensive. It has also had all the right mods done to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0233664074

There was this one in WA on ebay (about 3 weeks ago) that was a 750 It sold but could be worth chasing up to see if it went through

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0245672001

If I hear of any comming up between newcastle & Coffs Harbour I will let you know & would be happy tro test ride for you.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Laddie907
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Laddie907 »

I have a 907 and love it ...[apart from the thing owing me a lot of money]. It cost me $4K all up trouble-shooting a fault that didn't need it...but that's another story.
I also have a '97 900SS; not quite the same character; the SS is for fanging, the 907 is for attitude.
I would say they're probably a bit temperamental but that you have to expect that from Ducati and an early model fuel injected ride.

I've been watching local [East Coast Aust] 907ie prices for around 2 years.
Prices have ranged between $8K to around $9.5K; it's hard to know what extras might go with a bike; you also never know the hidden extras...that the seller is not telling you.
Cheapest I've seen was one came up in Albury for $5K about 12 months ago; I don't think they knew the correct value...I was going to buy it for spares but it was snapped up...

All the Paso models look good and very distinctive. I find if I park at a cafe that people will walk past most other bikes but stop at the 907; many people wind down their window at the traffic lights to compliment the bike.

Pasos have character and style; they are uncommon enough to be interesting...I wouldn't recommend a Paso as a "real" tourer but you can clock up 500kms without chiropractic assistance. [I rode an XS1100 from Brisbane to Townsville -1600km- in one day; once].

Nothing sounds as good as a 907 at 7,000 RPM on the gas; they even sound good off the gas...perhaps a bit too much advertizing... but if you're screwing a super model you want everyone to know...don't you?

I can't guarantee you won't ever regret buying a Paso but if you are enthusiastic and prepared to put up with some difficulties with parts and "why the fuck did they do that?" engineering you'll get a lot of pride owning one.
The first time someone says: "nice bike..." makes it all worthwhile...
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Thanks redpaso and laddie907 for your posts, I've haven't been vigilant lately but your posts have re ignited me. I've taken your advice red and emailed both those sellers. I've been spending a lot of time recently trying to get the X7 running properly which at the moment it's like a Swiss watch :thumbup: The upside of this is that I'm getting a lot more confidence tinkering and really enjoying myself. I'd expect a Paso or 907 would be a little more challenging but if a cheaper bike like the 750 (the link is in reds post) came along I'd be tempted to go along that path. Annoying really, that bike was so close to home but at the time, I wasn't looking at 750s :roll: grrrrrrrrrrr.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

It can become quite obsessive when you are on the look out for a new toy to buy, I often wonder how many man hours I have lost at work due to being in pursuit of something on ebay or similiar, hope the boss doesn't find out!
I am sure that the other Aussie Paso owners here will assist you in the search & let you know if we see anything come up. keep looking, your perfect Paso is out there!
:thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Thanks mate, if I have a few extra pairs of eyes and ears helping :wacko: thats gotta be good.
Fraser
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Johnny,

This is not exactly just around the corner, but NZ may be closer than some Aussie locations. So, here we have some current TradeMe bikes for sale:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 941667.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 664036.htm
That blue Paso makes my "buy now" finger twitch.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 837623.htm
Is pretty, but far too expensive.

Out of the 288 Ducatis currently listed, there are 7 x 851s, and a couple of bevels. Happy to assist where possible.

Fraser.