Paso VINs

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
ward

Paso VINs

Post by ward »

I'm an interloper! I don't own a Paso. Well, maybe I do own a bit of one... and that's the reason for this post! I have a few Ducs, one of which is a 1994 Superlight III, which I imported into Oz a couple of years ago.

I have just got it ready for the road and have tried to register it and came across a problem. The problem is that although the bike is a 1994 model, the VIN on the frame is only 15 digits - which makes it pre-'89 (according to my research). :wacko:

Even odder, the VIN looks to me like an engine number, and even odder still, strikes me as being a Paso number (hence this post)!

On the headstem the following is stamped:

ZDM906SC2*013498* (The asterix are part of the number)

Just underneath is another number:

DGM53053OM (that's five three zero, five three 'oh')

On the frame there's a black plate riveted just above the swing arm mount on the r/h side that repeats the ZDM906 number above.

Searching through this forum I noticed that this is very similar to a 750 Paso VIN (ZDM750 blah blah), even the reference to the plate location abpve the swingarm so.... I am now suspecting that the frame's from a Paso. No, I don't (didn't?) know these would be able to be fitted to a Superlight OR perhaps someone drank too much Ouzo on the day they stamped the VIN on this bike and it's a SS frame but with a Paso VIN?

So what's my point/question? Well, can you 906 Paso owners look at your VINs and let me know if indeed this does match a Paso VIN? At least then I will know why the VIN is an odd one. Note that this is the VIN, not the engine number which is ZDM904blahblah..)

Many thanks all

ward/.
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Paso VINs

Post by Desmo_Demon »

If the frame tubes are square, it is probably a Paso frame. If the frame tubes are round, then.....I have no idea what to make out of the numbers.
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Desmo_Demon wrote:If the frame tubes are square, it is probably a Paso frame.
I'd say it's a Paso frame for sure. I can't remember any other square tubed Ducati frame....

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
ward

Post by ward »

Hey - my bad. I looked at the numbers and compared them to the VINs on my SS and thought "odd, what's the 906?". BUT since then I've learnt that a lot of Superlights / SS models of '94 and earlier have the 906 in the VIN (see below)... AND (more embarrassingly) there's no way it could be a Paso frame as they are indeed square tubing and this is a stock round-tube trellis frame.

:wacko:

So, from what I have learnt over the past few days it seems that this is really a chassis number (as opposed to a VIN) and the VIN should have been added as a riveted steel plate (which wasn't). Later (post '94?) the chassis number was no longer used and was replaced by the VIN etched on the headstem.

Thanks for the time and effort all.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

anyhow, you can't make mistakes about frame shape.
The SS frame is almost the same since '70s and the paso is VERY different!
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
enzo906

Post by enzo906 »

Fraser imports Homebush import the Dukes from Italy and then weld little plates on the headstock with Australian Compliance Vins, The PASO did not require this, later the bikes did. My 888 had the same thing which at first I thought nothing off but years later when I sold it the person buying thought I was trying to sell a stolen bike. The best part is the apprentice stamping the numbers on the little plate some times got it wrong so nothing matched up. Warren Lee at Frasers Homebush Australia could probably give you bike history as he is the manager there these days