New to Pasos

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
jeff15116

New to Pasos

Post by jeff15116 »

Hi All,

I've recently found a Paso 906 that I think I'm in love with, but I'm torn between the 1990 906 and a 1997 900ss. Yeah, they're two different bikes and I'd love to have them both but I have some questions about the Paso. One, how difficult is it to work on if needed? I'm referring to the removal of the body panels. Two, I love the styling but one of the things I love about motorcycles is the way everything is in sight. Anyone else have this thought when they were looking at the Paso?
Today, my thought is that I should go with the Paso this summer because they're pretty rare, they're cool as hell, seem to have alot of soul, and I can always get a 900ss later.
What type of issues should I be looking for and what are the usual things that would keep the bike off the road?

Thanks for any input,

Jeff
DonaldoDuck
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: New to Pasos

Post by DonaldoDuck »

I have owned both 1992 907ie Paso and the 1997 SS at the same time. Both are great bikes but when it came time to thin the herd and sell off some bikes for a move that I had to make the 907 was the one that I kept. The Paso series and my 907 represent perhaps the perfect blend of both sporting and touring motorcycle that exude passion with exotic Italian design and craftsmanship. I consider my 907 the perfect motorcycle if I could only have ONE. The 900ss is more available, more sporting, and a little more narrowly focused. The SS makes you want to do wheelies, stoppies and all sorts of (bad) fun stuff. The 907 Paso makes me want to go carve canyons fully loaded on a 2000 mile tour and then stop at the hotel have a drink, and a cigar while looking at the beautiful lines of the Ducati. When the 907 was released in the U.S. I remember 1 motojournalist saying that it was the type of motorcycle that could get him out of bed at 5 AM and that it "stirred his soul." Motorcycles for me, as for many of you, are more than just machines they are emotional extensions of ourselves form, function and passion.

Removing bodywork is easy: on and off in 10 minutes

Issues:
Voltage regulators
Chain & sprockets (usual amount as any bike)
Belts, idler pulleys
Valve adjustments (as any Duc)
Drive pins on rear sprocket carrier
Clutch slave cylinder

In 15 years the only problems I really experienced were Voltage regs, and broken drive pins on the rear sproket carier (my bike broke 2 pins). Heavier pins are available on later models so I used those. I also installed uprated Ducati generator but it was not necessary, I only did so when I replaced the Volt Reg.

I love looking at motors and believe in functionality. All my other bikes are usually unfair-ed. Paso's are something special because of this design and are one of the most beautifully designed fully fair-ed bikes EVER! The canvas is their bodywork and as a result the flow of their lines is gorgeous.

Oh by the way does anybody know where I can find a nice used 1997 SS I feel like doing a few stoppies and wheelies??? :lol:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

When I bought my 906 it was down to a 900ss or the Paso & (of course) the Paso won out & I have not regretted it for a moment (excluding the time the regulator/rectifier crapped itself while i was out for a ride & I was trapped in the middle of no where with absolutely nothing left in the battery). Sure I drool at every 900ss that rides past but I rarely see a passing Paso & mine is the one that is being drooled over constantly, where ever I go by all types of people. They are not the most attractive bike when naked but like my wife tells me "somepeople look better with clothes on" & this is definately the case with both me & my Paso. Those lines look beautiful from any angle all the time.
Looks aside, I have found my 906 mothing but a joy to own, she is undressed in 10 minutes with ease & she is basic & easy for someone like me that is just a back shed tinkerer to fiddle with & get dirty.
She will provide plenty of smile on the twistys & eat up those boring straight roads with ease, she will carry a good load (pillion + luggage) no worries. The tyres handle nicely but there are some concerns about ongoing availability due to the size.
If your 906 has been looked after it will show & you will be rewarded for continueing to care for her. It does not take much, just love, time & money (not huge amounts of the last 2)
I would go the 906 just because it is a 906!
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
jeff15116

Post by jeff15116 »

ha ha ha!! Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go back and have another look at the 906 tomorrow. I think that's the way to go.
There was a book out a few years ago called "Rebuilding the Indian" and coincidentally, it was about a guy buying and rebuilding an old Indian Chief. One of the chapters that has stuck with me is when the author was describing "the grin factor", the way you can put a grin on other folk's faces when they check out your bike. But yeah, the most important smile is the one you put on your own face and I think the Paso would definitely do that!
Laddie907
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Laddie907 »

I have both; a 907ie and a 1997 SS...

the SS is for riding; the 907 is for attitude.

I often contemplate which one I would choose (if I had to) and can never decide.

The 907 is more of a head-turner and has more character...