Marelli Ignition Needed

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

"In the present case the bike runs fine until warm. Then when running down the road at a steady throttle is seems to hesitate. The hesitation disappears on acceleration or when going uphill. Then the bike starts to miss entirely on the front cylinder, sporadically kicking in.

At first I thought it was fuel but a strobe on the spark wires showed it was electrical."

With this pattern of failure, I have to ask if you have changed the coils? This sounds like the classic failure mode of an old coil. Whe it gets warm, it expands, and it starts to short out and create a poor spark, which will give you a funny reading when using a strobe light. I recomend either just getting new coils, or take your coils off the bike and down to a shop that has a coil tester. If you take it to a coil tester, make sure he runs it for several minutes to mimic the behaviour you have seen.

Also, check your vent tube from your tank. If it is plugged, like mine was, it will also have a similar failure mode.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
ducat

Re: marelli ignition- are these still available?

Post by ducat »

sport1100 wrote:
pasofreak wrote:I have 3 magneti marelli digiplex ignition that work. They are not new, buth I can asure you they work.
My price is 150 euro/piece (the same as I bought them, out of sympaty for the Paso). Please react if interested. I'm a Belgian.
Greetings,
Pasofreak.