Marelli Ignition Needed

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
kundune

Marelli Ignition Needed

Post by kundune »

Hi Everyone. First post for me. 906 Paso (blue) since new. All original but for cans and Dellorto's.
Need a new Marelli digiplex 2S. Anyone here know where I can put my hands on one????
mika750paso

Marelli

Post by mika750paso »

Hi,

I doubt you find new units from anywhere.

Certain Fiat cars used that Digiplex II system for ignition, like Fiat Tipo.

If you can find Fiat cars from "junk yards", you also might find Digiplex system.

BR Mika :thumbup:
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Marelli Ignition Needed

Post by JWilliam »

Digiplex ll ignitions were fitted to Fiat cars? that is good news. You should be able to buy a new one from a Fiat Parts Dealer then.
kundune

Post by kundune »

Hi. Thanks for the responses.

Digiplexes were apparently used in: Lancia Thema 16V, Fiat Croma 1600 and Moto Guzzi Nevada 750.

Unfortunately neither of the cars were sold in North America (I'm in British Columbia, Canada).

If you folks have any Fiat used parts locations, let me know.

Gerry M
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by mike »

kundune wrote:Hi. Thanks for the responses.

Digiplexes were apparently used in: Lancia Thema 16V, Fiat Croma 1600 and Moto Guzzi Nevada 750.

Unfortunately neither of the cars were sold in North America (I'm in British Columbia, Canada).

If you folks have any Fiat used parts locations, let me know.

Gerry M
http://fiatplus.com

where i used to get parts from for my 124s
jomo

Post by jomo »

Interesting to hear about the cross referencing to Fiats etc. Are they going to have the right advance curve? Also, from playing around with mine, I found they have 2 terminals to trigger the spark, one for each cylinder.

Is the bike going onto 1 cylinder? At 17,000 km, mine had a cracked circuit board. A television technician mate fixed it. I still had troubles with the soldered joints over the years, so I finally bought a new unit from Silent Hektik. It came with coils and spark plugs. Now it is totally reliable, but , at a price. $1100 Aus. you can choose the advance curve to suit your requirements. I haven't had a go at the other curves yet because I am still fiddling with jetting. The unit is good, but I think the original is just as good when working properly.

What are the symptoms? Going onto 1 cylinder all the time? or intermittently?

Good luck with it.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

I know, that there is one "eprom"(if remembering right, its NOT removable) inside Marelli Digiplex box, so it might be, that those ignition curves, of Fiat cars dont fit??? Have anybody tried?

finnpaso
907IE
750Paso
kundune

Post by kundune »

Thanks Jomo
The symptoms:
First let me say that some time ago the ignition had cut out intermittently and I diagnosed it to a faulty connection in the switch.

In the present case the bike runs fine until warm. Then when running down the road at a steady throttle is seems to hesitate. The hesitation disappears on acceleration or when going uphill. Then the bike starts to miss entirely on the front cylinder, sporadically kicking in.

At first I thought it was fuel but a strobe on the spark wires showed it was electrical.

If I can get my hands on a shop manual with the sensor calibrations a friend with an electrical bent will help. Right now my strong inkling is the box and thus the inquiry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kundune
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

I have the Ducati workshop manual, it is not one for the novice as it is aimed at the ducati mechanic, I will have a look & if I find it scan & upload it. you can get teh Workshop manual from Gowanloch Ducati in Sydney

http://www.ducati-gowanloch.com

check them out here, if you email the problem to them they also get back with excellant feedback very fast.

I will check my manual & see if I can sort that damn scanner of mine :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
jomo

Post by jomo »

Kundune,

I have made up a chart on Excel that shows reading I got when my ignition was working. I tested them against another couple of ignitions and I think I worked out a rough guide to what one should see with a multimeter. I think most bikes will vary but seem to still work fine. Don't take the exact readings too seriously, just make sure you have continuity where my chart says so. Otherwise you have an open circuit, and then I would take it to an electronics person and see if they can fix it. Some of the other ignitions I saw had bad solder joints where the terminal attaches to the circuit board.

Mike, can you send me instructions of how to send the file through, or can I just email it to you for posting? It also has a chart for testing the regulator and the alternator. Again, these may vary because mine have all been renewed, rewound and retaken my money!!!

Wishing you all healthy electrics
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Suzuki RMX250
kundune

Post by kundune »

Thanks again Jomo.

I would really appreciate a copy. please send it to moln_g@hotmail.com.

A workshop manual is on its way from Road and Race. AUD$45.00 plus postage.
jomo

Post by jomo »

Kundune,

The file has been sent!
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Suzuki RMX250
pasofreak

marelli ignition

Post by pasofreak »

I have 3 magneti marelli digiplex ignition that work. They are not new, buth I can asure you they work.
My price is 150 euro/piece (the same as I bought them, out of sympaty for the Paso). Please react if interested. I'm a Belgian.
Greetings,
Pasofreak.
sport1100

Re: marelli ignition

Post by sport1100 »

pasofreak wrote:I have 3 magneti marelli digiplex ignition that work. They are not new, buth I can asure you they work.
My price is 150 euro/piece (the same as I bought them, out of sympaty for the Paso). Please react if interested. I'm a Belgian.
Greetings,
Pasofreak.
My 1996 Moto Guzzi was waterboarded during hurricane katrina. Will this ignition work on it?
sport1100

Re: marelli ignition- are these still available?

Post by sport1100 »

pasofreak wrote:I have 3 magneti marelli digiplex ignition that work. They are not new, buth I can asure you they work.
Greetings,
Pasofreak.