Slipping clutch?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Slipping clutch?

Post by redpaso »

On my last ride a few weeks ago I stopped about 25 km from home for a while, when I started the paso again I heard a squeking sound from my clutch area, the noise disappeared when clutch lever pulled in, came back when released. I checked it out & found nothing obvious ( I looked blankly at it & pulled clutch lever in & out). I then proceeded on my journey (no alternative really) home. I pulled up my driveway put her in neutral & climbed off to open the gate did not notice the squek any more but when I got back on & put her in gear & proceeded to ride into my yard the clutch seemed to be slipping (my driveway is on a reasonable slope so it can take a bit more effort than the usual take off). I looked at it the other day in the shed & started her up. in Neutral all seemed fine but once I engaged first the rear started to spin fairly fast with the clutch still in. With a bit of effort I could stop it spinning with my hand but as soon as i let it go again she wheel would resume turning at a steady speed, I did not notice that it was any faster given revs (but i could be wrong. )

I have checked the 900ss Haynes manual as I believe the clutch & gearbox is the same (can any one confirm or deny this?) & they talk about clutch slip & spring adjustments (they also mention major problems but I do not want to go there). (My Paso Workshop Manual is no use for troubleshooting at all) Has anyone else experienced similiar & know the likely fix?

I have not ridden "The Old Girl" since them but the test in the shed told me something is not right as It has never done this before.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
JWilliam

Slipping Clutch?

Post by JWilliam »

The Paso clutch can make a noise because of oil and other contamination on the sintered bronze plates. Clean the plates using wire wool. The clutch can begin to drag if the hydraulic seal of the clutch piston has begun to fail, this will allow fluid to contact the bronze plates and cause the noise that you have described. If it is allowed to continue, the clutch can fail suddenly needing immediate attention, but it will not cause permanent damage.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

I think even with a perfect clutch the wheel would be inclined to spin if a gear is engaged and the lever pulled in, cuz. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

There is a lot of material on the site about clutches. Hopefully, it just needs a clean.

:thumbup:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Thanks guys, yeah the wheel might spin a little but this seemed like it was doing about 30-40 kph. I will take her out again this weekend & see what happens. It must be time to do some TLC, still have not looked at the tacho cable so she is probably feeling a little neglected, & justifiably so. :roll:
Redpaso
jomo

Post by jomo »

RED,

Skins is right.

On the subject of noise.

First, go to the local marine shop and buy a tube of outboard motor grease.

Then take the side cover off the clutch and grease the mushroom shaped actuator (metal thing) that operates the clutch. Reassemble! No noise - cheap fix! Some noise - look further!
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Red - have ya fixed it yet.............??
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

No not fixed yet, a really wet weekend & a teenage daughters birthday party ensured the Paso was once again neglected, maybe I will get down there one night this week but I am not holding my breath. I need to get her all sorted soon as I have taken a week off to ride with my lady in about a months time. :evil: :thumbup:
Redpaso
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Hey, I have sorted "The Old Girl" & it was a really easy fix. Turns out that the noise was just the rod that goes up the middle of the clutch & where it sits & the end & turns on the case needed a bit of grease. All I had to do was remove clutch cover, apply grease & re-apply clutch cover. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

as for the slipping clutch & rear wheel spinning excessively I reckon that was just a case of severe paranoia related to the sound & my series of mechanical failures & things on cars of late. You know how you notice things like that only when you think there is something wrong. I travelled over 600km on the weekend & all was excellant with the Paso. some good riding as well, might be a contribution to "Aiming for the Apex" there when I get some time. :thumbup:
Redpaso
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Good to get that news, cuz!
steele

Post by steele »

Despite all popular belief paso clutches are remakably strong belive me i think i may abuse mine farrrrr worse than a road riden bike :D :cool:
jomo

Post by jomo »

Red,

I expect you used the good marine grease? I haven't had to touch mine in 33,000K since the episode at 17,000k.

Steele, you are right, they are a good strong clutch, and I think they have a bad name from unreputable bike shops who are either incompetent or just bloody crooks! I remember back around 1994, seeing a dry clutch conversion in the Ducati dealership for around $2000AUD. You would expect a better clutch for that money. I would.... or I would feel ripped off!!!!
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250