NZ's newest Paso owner - bike has arrived

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Mobius
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: NZ's newest Paso owner - bike has arrived

Post by Mobius »

Mc tool wrote:I think you are wise to leave some tasks to the experts if you really think a T500 was a triple :P :lol:
Hang on, that might have been my GT380? Hell, I had so many bikes 2.5 decades ago it's hard to keep them all straight. The Titan was a twin? Maybe. Dunno. :P I do recall one of them used to oil up the middle pot, and run on 2 cylinders, and No.3 NEVER cut in until you were leaned over, and then all hell would break loose. :)
Paso750 wrote:Does that lean out the engine meaning if you fully open do you need to rejet the carbs ? Just wondering.
No. Graham at Zorsts said that for newer Ducatis this is the case, but for *all* Paso motors it is 100% fine. He *did* say that running it at maximally closed would cause the engine to run very hot, with high revving probably blowing the stuffing out of the exhausts - so not to do that. Adding that open to about 45 degrees would easily pass the 95 dB noise limit, and to set them there for compliance, and to open them up again afterward.
Blazing928 wrote:Over here for Ducati parts there is Eurobit in Melb and Gowanlochs in NSW for spares.
Yeah, I spoke to a lovely sympathetic lady at Gowanlochs last week. She must talk to a LOT of Paso riders about tyres, as she had everybit of information possible to hand, and suggested some tyres which "will fit". She put my name down on a list for email if the correct tyre sizes *ever* become available. I thought that was bloody nice of them.
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Mc tool wrote:Chris , if you ever feel like comming to nelson I could show you how to do a basic tune up / check over,( check valves and belts , ballance carbs) . It only takes 2 coffees to do , and every owner should at least have a look inside ...

Oh yeah , those exhausts should be wide open , dont be shy , coz when peeps look to see what the noise is they will be impressed . Try riding it round a car park building
Appreciate the offer, but I'm unlikely to be there any time soon. Do you ever come to CHC? I'd be more than willing to offer you a bed and meals in exchange for sharing your knowledge.

As to the car parks - yeah - I know. My 928 already sets off every car alarm as I drive up each level. Hilarious! The Paso should be even better, as 4 metres behind the bike I can feel the exhaust pressure waves at idle! What's your name in the Real World, btw?
lofty 36
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by lofty 36 »

Hi Chris I to am in Christchurch and have a couple of 906's and 907 the guy out at New Brighton is the man for dukes

You can contact me on 332 9773 for a chat if you likE

Cheers Peter
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I used to make regular trips to Chch for work but I havnt been working for a while and Im not sure when I will go back. If I see trip to chch comming up I will let you know , and Lofty , sorry bout not answering your pm , I didnt think to check my pm's till way to late
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

lofty 36 wrote:Hi Chris I to am in Christchurch and have a couple of 906's ... Cheers Peter
More than I could have hoped for. I will call you soon Peter - thanks! I need someone who knows a 906 to ride it when it's all fixed up, to make sure it's riding OK.

Yesterday I got the new tyres; $349 for the Dunlop D250 180/60 R16 intended for the Honda 1800. Also the Metzler M3 Sportec 130/70 R16. The tread pattern isn't too dis-similar, so they'll look good on. I'm amazed at how soft and yieldy the new rubber is. I can barely dent the tyres fitted to the bike. Thank goodness I haven't been doing anything except riding up and down the driveway in order to adjust the gear lever up so my Tech 2 boots can fit underneath. I'm pretty sure I could snowboard nicely in these things!

Here's the monstrous new rear tyre. Believe me, the right tyre isn;t *that* much closer to the lens.

With the tyre height of 108mm vs the 96 of the original, it's only 16mm taller overall, and an easy foit inside the swingarm. The width is the real issue, and I'll find out abou tthat later this week. It's going in tomorrow for major surgery, poor thing. But she'll come back fully prepared for the re-VIN and some happy riding.
Colonial Boy
year: 1989

Post by Colonial Boy »

Mobius wrote:With the tyre height of 108mm vs the 96 of the original, it's only 16mm taller overall, and an easy foit inside the swingarm. The width is the real issue, and I'll find out abou tthat later this week. It's going in tomorrow for major surgery, poor thing. But she'll come back fully prepared for the re-VIN and some happy riding.
Hi Chris, good to see you chose the D250 too. It will be good to have another opinion on how this tyre performs. Remember it will change its height a little when it is fitted to the rim. I notice your chain adjuster is already mounted up the other way to lower the rear of the bike. I may do this if I find the stands are too short with both Dunlops.

Do you intend to mod the sprockets in the same way I did? When will you be back on the road?

All the best, CB
Ducati 906 Paso
Kawasaki GPZ900R
Triumph Sprint 955
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Colonial Boy wrote:
Mobius wrote:Do you intend to mod the sprockets in the same way I did? When will you be back on the road?
As I have no facilities or abilities, Duane's Bikes & Skis is doing the work. I have asked him to simply flip the rear sprocket for an approximate 3mm extra clearance, and attempt to relocate the front sprocket by the same amount. If he can not relocate the front sprocket easily, and the chain is not touching the D250, I will then ride it directly to an engineer who restores bikes, and have him perform the necessary work to keep the chain adequately clear of the tyre. I haven't yet seen a definitive answer to the question of what gap is "too small". We will cross that bridge when we come to it I imagine, but I doubt I'd feel comfortable riding with less than 5mm clearance. I've already advised Duane that it may be necessary to add 1 or 2 links to the chain in order to clear the front of the swingarm.

If the chain won't clear the tyre, I'll have it to trailer to the engineer.

I'd prefer to not have to modify new sprockets each time they're required if at all possible.

If all goes well, I'll be on the road and legal before the end of this coming week. Then I may take some time off work and become reacquainted with riding a bike again. All my riding gear is ready to go, and I am one armoured up dude - lemme tell ya. I think I'll probably go even further, and use a strap-on back protector under my Off-Track jacket.

Incidentally, there's a HUGE bike rally and protest going on right now about a kilometre away - I can hear the loudspeaker system; NZ bike registrations are due to just about triple for large capacity bikes. I swear, our government is insane. And I voted for them. *sigh*
Colonial Boy

Post by Colonial Boy »

Hi Chris,

I had hoped the info I posted would take the guesswork out of fitting the D250. Shifting the chain over 10mm gave me 8mm clearance, so that would mean moving it 3mm would only give 1mm clearance. Also to move the front sprocket 3mm will involve some lathe work anyway, so why not just mod the rear sprocket only?

Can anyone tell us how many kms to expect out of a rear sprocket?

There should be no need to add extra links to your chain - I haven't. See the photo I have posted of the clearance with the positioning of the excenter also pictured.

Cheers,

CB
Ducati 906 Paso
Kawasaki GPZ900R
Triumph Sprint 955
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

There is excessive rubber on the edge of the tire. There's a post somewhere about trimming the edge so that you get better clearance. With a rzor or grinder I think you can take away 4-5 maybe 8mm just from the one edge. I would grab an old tire and start cutting away the edge just to see how far you can go.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Good idea from Jon :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Colonial Boy wrote: Can anyone tell us how many kms to expect out of a rear sprocket?
CB
I clean my chain when doing oil ,valves etc at about 4000km. I clean chain with supercheap degreaser and a paintbrush , then rinse with hot water and then apply spectra chain wax (reapplied every 1000 od km's) . I want at least 20,000km from a chain and sprockets, usually get closer to 30,000km,s. Having said that I have wiped out a chain in under 1000k's , riding from Wanaka to Nelson , pissing down (west coast.... of course ) with that paso rear tyre pumping water and grit straight onto the chain via the cut out in the guard, ( I did that trip in 6 hrs 25 mins......... 800k's)
Colonial Boy

Post by Colonial Boy »

Thanks Mc tool, with that in mind it doesn't look as though I'll be replacing my rear sprocket anytime soon, but then my Paso is not my only bike.

There seems to be concern over whether the tyre manufacturers recommend their cruiser tyre for the Paso, but it's ok to carve off the sidewall with a knife or a grinder! I figure the rubber is there for a reason and I'm damned if I'd do that to my new $400 tyre. What would the Warrent of Fitness tester think of it?

Cheers,
CB
Ducati 906 Paso
Kawasaki GPZ900R
Triumph Sprint 955
hardo
year: 0

Post by hardo »

I think "colonial boy" has shown us the way it works with a 906 paso. for me it is clearly the best possible solution (besides a 17 conversion or using a 150/80 on a 5 rim). i will also go this way.

clearly, we need to life with the fact that the 180/60 are (I think all) made for cruiser bikes, and the 130/70 are typically made for the honda fireblade (and that is not a cruiser).

to come back to the question how long the sprocket will do it i can say that from my experience, they will do it for at least 10.000 km, rather 15.000 km. in my case, this means 10 years. so i would not worry about doing the work of adjusting these part again. and who knows: maybe they will produce 160/60 again at that point in time :wacko: (well I doubt it).
jpitz31
model: 750 Sport

Post by jpitz31 »

Mc tool wrote:
Colonial Boy wrote: Can anyone tell us how many kms to expect out of a rear sprocket?
CB
I clean my chain when doing oil ,valves etc at about 4000km. I clean chain with supercheap degreaser and a paintbrush , then rinse with hot water and then apply spectra chain wax (reapplied every 1000 od km's) . I want at least 20,000km from a chain and sprockets, usually get closer to 30,000km,s. Having said that I have wiped out a chain in under 1000k's , riding from Wanaka to Nelson , pissing down (west coast.... of course ) with that paso rear tyre pumping water and grit straight onto the chain via the cut out in the guard, ( I did that trip in 6 hrs 25 mins......... 800k's)
I would be careful with what you clean a rubber o-ring chain with. You do not want to use anything that will erode the rubber. I use kerosene, I believe the British term is paraffin. Does not eat away the rubber o-rings on the chain. I have been using this for over 20 years with no problems. You can pick up 5 gallons for pretty cheap.

Cheers

Joe
1990 Ducati 750 Sport (mine)
2007 Piaggio BV 500 (mine - daily driver)
2008 Piaggio MP3 500 (wife's)

My Ducati Blog site
http://projectducati.blogspot.com/

Stupidity is not a crime, your are free to go ;-)
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I know what you mean about using solvents on O rings . I got a couple of old Orings and doused em in this ( water soluable ) degreaser , and they still looked ok after a couple of days ........ so......