Tyres in the Uk

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Sprunghub

Tyres in the Uk

Post by Sprunghub »

Hi. I'm new. I have an option on a 1991, 906, with 30km on the clock, but it is in relatively imminent need of new rubber.

Now please - don't shout, I've spent two days searching the forum, reading & re-reading & trying to interpret the nuances of whether or not I am going to be able to buy tyres, in the Uk "off the shelf" which are going to fit, without any modification to the bike. I've followed loads of 'strings' which seem to be pointing to Avons & Dunlops, but then seem to go off track & having started out very positively, become a little 'inconclusive' by the end ?
I don't want to modify the bike, I don't want to be riding it at 'track' speeds. I've spoken to the Uk Ducati parts expert & his "expert" analyses is that you guys out there are THE experts & if you don't know, no one will. He wasn't very hopeful.

I'm not worried about bringing tyres across from Europe if needs be.

If I can't source a decent tyre, I'd rather not buy the bike - but if I can't sort out the tyre issue PDQ, it'll probably be gone anyway, so excuse me joining to ask :oops:
Colonial Boy
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: Tyres in the Uk

Post by Colonial Boy »

I think the simple answer is you cannot buy new correct size tyres, and if you can get some 'old stock' Michelins, new laws in UK will mean they will be too old to be legal.

I think the mods suggested to run available sizes are not too difficult and the problem will be fixed but if you are unable or against doing this and still want a Paso style Ducati, how about a 907?

Cheers,

CB
Ducati 906 Paso
Kawasaki GPZ900R
Triumph Sprint 955
Sprunghub

Post by Sprunghub »

That's the crux of the issue CB. I'm a fateful buyer of bikes ! I love em all & this very well set up bike has become available on the doorstep at a very good price. The advice from the parts man I spoke to today was, if you want a Paso, & the tyre issue bothers you, get a 907. Sadly the chances of finding a 907 - or anything else locally to me at the sort of money being asked is nil.

I had half understood the Avon AV 72 180/60/16 to be "right" according to what I was reading, but then the suggestion seemed to evaporate within the same thread, without any real clarification either way.

Thanks for the advice, though. There's some mileage left in the rubber she's shod with, but not enough I fear to make purchase viable for me. The last thing I'd want to be finding myself doing is breaking her in 6 months.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

Sadly the only real time option is that you will have to source and fit the tire that suits your purpose and the alterations will be up to you to do, several of the folk on here have tried their tire choices and adapted the bike to match that choice. Larger side flanges on the wheel to accommodate the size issue is one way, you will still need to adapt the chain and the front guard, maybe shave some of the tire wall even.

The main thing to take into account is the price you pay for the bike and the modifications you have to make and what it will cost, we are lucky here in the UK in as much that the prices are pretty low for the bikes so if you get the mods done at a reasonable price you will have one heck of unique bike that although maybe not a true cash investment will none the less leave a grin on your face when you ride it and for probably several hours afterwards as well. Those modifications will also make that bike unique and original so done well may actually turn a profit later in life.

I still think that there is someone in the UK that could actually build a wheel to suit (even a spoked one) and the thing is with the wheel created the tire choice becomes massive.

So it begs the question "How much is the bike?"
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Sprunghub

Post by Sprunghub »

Ok - I'm wavering enough to tell :dunno: if I was a bit more convinced, I'd probably not want to !

It's a declared new on import' 1991 'blue & white' bike with a kph clock. It reads around the 32,000 km's. A Three Legged Cross prepared bike. I think 3 (maybe 4) P.O's, the latest has had it for only a few years, he's now in his 70's & knee problems have stopped him riding. The last but one was according to the 70 year old, "getting on" too !

He openly admits that when he bought the bike, it was immaculate - now, it's still pretty good, a bit of the coat coming off the wheels, some road crud which has sat on the fairing panels & the odd chip/scrape, but no sign that it's been down the road. It's been off the road since last summer, because of the chap's health. It was started & running the other day, but he admitted he'd had to get the plugs out to 'clean them' to get her running, hence the fairing was all off. There's some oil misting around one head, but nothing major.
Exhaust Can's look too good to be original ? - they have an impressed logo....like the "Puma" sports kit puma ? a big cat at full tilt ?? not sure what make that makes them ? pipes look to be fine - not sure, if they are stainless as standard ??

The starter motor magnets have been 'fixed' ? a common problem ?? they were glued & not riveted ?? anyway, they've been done, & the service schedules been kept something like, re oil & filter changes. There's quite a wad of service dockets etc, but latterly it's not been doing many miles. It was on about 19k km's in the mid 1990's.

It starts, runs, sounds fine, some bit's of tidying need doing, under edge of fuel tank feels a bit 'rough' probably needs attention.

He's looking for a 3 figure sum starting with a 5.....

I can't believe I'm hesitating!......I have a contact who could actually do Colonial Boys sprocket adaptation, if that is a straight "fix" ......but I have no idea what's "right" price wise in the Uk, you don't see many about !!
v2barn
year: 1990

Post by v2barn »

Hello Sprunghub, i live in England and i am also relatively new to the 906, currently my Paso is on the work bench with it's wheels and sprockets off awaiting a test ride report from colonialboy before i go ahead with his modification ie. reversing engine sprocket and machining rear sprocket for the spacer etc. in England you will have trouble sourcing the Dunlop tyre he uses on the back but here in blighty the replacement for that tyre is available in the same size (the name / number of the tyre escapes me at the moment ) but it can be bought for about £120.
The front sportmax is available and no problem once your spacers are fitted under the guard mounts (simples).
Like you i have also been reading the various threads and would agree that they all seem to diverge into other subjects without a final conclusion on the original thread and sometimes it is hard to spot the wood from the trees. Having studied colonial boys method i think this is the most straight forward way of a route to new rubber for the 906 even though it involves some machine work.
I also have access to a machine shop and it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to eventually offer a 'conversion kit' to 906 owners if colonial boys pathfinder exploits eventually prove positive.
As you will have read he currently has stand to chain contact issues but everything seems to be heading in the right direction subject to a satisfactory test ride / handling check.
Bottom line i think you should not hesitate buying that paso even at £599!!! if this conversion proves to be a good move and i am confident it ultimately will be (750 Paso another matter) then once it is accepted you will not be able to buy a 906 for anywhere near £500.
If you don't want it PM me and i will buy it, it's got to be a good buy at that.
Cheers :beer: Jon
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

v2barn wrote:i think you should not hesitate buying that paso even at £599!!!
A good Paso is worth much more than 599...
I think it would be a bargain if I could buy for the double.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

v2barn wrote:i think you should not hesitate buying that paso even at £599!!!
A good Paso is worth much more than 599...
I think it would be a bargain even for the double.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Colonial Boy
year: 1989

Post by Colonial Boy »

Hi Sprunghub & v2barn, I have made some progress and updated the thread I started.
I should be riding it very soon - provided it will start :dunno:

Cheers, CB
Ducati 906 Paso
Kawasaki GPZ900R
Triumph Sprint 955
v2barn
year: 1990

Post by v2barn »

Hello CB thanks for the update, have 'replied' on your original thread.
Sprunghub, the dunlop rear tyre i couldn't recall above is a Dunlop D419 which is the equivalent / new version of the D250 here in England
cheers :beer: Jon
Sprunghub

Post by Sprunghub »

v2barn wrote:
If you don't want it PM me and i will buy it, it's got to be a good buy at that.
Cheers :beer: Jon
Jon, rang the chap this a/m, out of courtesy, to ask if it was ok to put out his phone number & he has already accepted a deposit on it. The buyer's gone away to sort out insurance etc, so it looks like a done deal. The chap has my number in case it falls through, in which case he will get back to me & I will let you know.

cheers
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Under £600 :thumbup: and well worth the investment if updating, who ever buys please don't part it out though I know it might be tempting at that price :banghead:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Duc750
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

if it comes back up at that I'd grab it (if only to complete the set)

907's are starting to increase in value in the UK and 750 and 906's will follow once an easy route to tyres gets sorted - to my mind still, the easiest solution is to convert across to 17" form an ss as the parts are still relatuively cheap - even forks from an SS are pretty cheap over here now as a lot of the Desmodue racers are switiching forks out for later model SS and monster under their new class rules.

You can replicate the geometry of a 907 ie onto a 750 or 906 pretty well converting to 17" wheels so you know it will handle well enough (actually my 907 is one of the "easiest" handling bikes I've ever ridden at speed)
All I woudl say is keep all the bits that come off so if you ever want a museum piece you can convert back as, as most of these guys on here will confirm once you get a Paso its very rare you get rid of it !
In fact it is much more likely you will add another one into the family.

Also don't be too worried in the UK about KM clocks - a lot of Europe market bikes were officially imported by Moto Cinelli (the Ducati importer at the time) (my 907 being one of them).

ALways look at the condition fo the bodywork though when Paso shopping - its far harder to fix than anythign else (except maybe the header tank)